Review: AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsOats

Senior Cook
After using two different brands of manual knife sharpeners (lansky and spyderco), I was beggining to feel like whetstones were the best option. Fortunately, Cook's Illustrated had a wonderful review of manual knife sharpeners, and surprisingly enough the #1 rated was less than $10 USD. Putting my trust in CI, I ordered four off eBay (1 for me, 3 for gifts). Here is what I found after using the AccuSharp for one day:
  • Sharpener is VERY easy to use.
  • Tungsten Carbide is extremely hard and sharp, and removes metal quickly.
  • A surprisingly sharp edge can be produced with minimal effort.
  • Pocket knife or kitchen knife, junk steel or super-hard japanese steel -- works great on anything.
To give an example, I have a block set of the cheapo chinese Henckels; the steak knives being the dullest of the lot. Let me tell you, these knives had trouble cutting butter, let alone steak! In any case, 20 quick passes with the AccuSharp and these steak knives were slicing paper like it was nothing. 60 seconds of work on my pocket knife and it was shaving hair.

Needless to say, I give this tool an A+.

Reading your compliments for AccuSharp knife sharpener decided to buy the same. I''ll try and post my opinion about it. Thank you any way.:)

eatsOats: Is the device adjustable so you can put different angle edges on different items or does the device put the same edge on everything?

Andy: it is not adjustable. That was something that made me leary about using it on my best knives. In any case, I tried it on my global santoku and in no time it was sharper than the factory edge!

The non-adjustability of the edge would be an issue for me. According to their website:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener (001) Finally, a Knife Sharpener anyone can use! No more messy oils or stones. In about 10 seconds, sharpen knives, (even serrated knives), cleavers, axes, machetes, and many other cutting tools...[/FONT]

I don't think I want the same edge on my good kitchen knives as someone else wants on their axe or machete. That's the downside of all in one sharpeners. Also, you have to be careful to not take too much metal off the knife when sharpening it with such a hard abrasive. Many sharpeners will give you razor sharp edges but take too much off the blade in the process. Be careful.

I guess it depends on what you want to sharpen with it. I hope its clear from my review that it works very well on kitchen knives. Also, it's less than ten bucks.

Andy M. said:
I don't think I want the same edge on my good kitchen knives as someone else wants on their axe or machete.

But, inversely, wouldn't you want the same fine edge on a machete that you have on your kitchen knives?

Caine said:
But, inversely, wouldn't you want the same fine edge on a machete that you have on your kitchen knives?
No, probably not. You would need a hardier edge on a machete I would think otherwise you would risk damaging the blade.

OK i had to add my $.02 to this. After i read this thread i decided to order one on ebay. I current have this knife sharpener:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/nashvilleknifeshop_1940_3715740

Which works very very well. Eventhough it works well its a pain to sharpen little knives with it. I can do it but its kind of a hastle.

Anyways i got the accusharp unit tonight and OMG...this thing works great. Just a few swipes and the knife was razar sharp. I did notice that it won't remove those dings that you get in the knife blade but boy otherwise this thing is perfect. In a matter of seconds i turned from a very dull steak knife to razor sharp. So its fair to say i love this thing. I will still use the lansky system for my chef knives but for paring/steak/serated knives this is as good as it gets.

Ncage

:) I got one last week after reading this thread its great but like AndyM said go easy on this baby.I was shocked how well it works. a few light strokes and you are done I think it works much better than my Chefs Choice electric sharpener I would try and try on that thing and never got my knives that sharp.How amazing this little thing works so well.They also make one for sharpening scissors but I could not find that one where I live.

Andy M. said:
The non-adjustability of the edge would be an issue for me

I think so, too. I was under the impression that German/European and Japanese/Asian knives had different edge angles. Has anyone else heard that?

I bought one of these last night on my way home. I decided to sharpen all my dull knives (there were about 8 of them). It sharpened all but one to razor-sharp status.

The one it had problems with was a hunting knife. It was able to sharpen the tip and the base, but for some reason the middle only gets mildly sharp. Oh well, it's not like I've ever used the knife before. :rolleyes:

Overall I'm quite happy with it. I sharpened 8 knives in the time it usually took me to satisfactorily sharpen one using stones.

p.s. - I picked mine up for $9 at the local sporting goods store. They charge an extra $1 for the camo version. :huh:

foodstorm said:
I think so, too. I was under the impression that German/European and Japanese/Asian knives had different edge angles. Has anyone else heard that?

You better believe it. Most Euro knives are around 25 degrees per side and some even less acute than that. Japanese knives are generally beveled at 15 to 16 degrees per side. Slide those blades through this sharpener and you just lost the edge for which you paid so much extra. And, when you give the knife to a pro to bring back the original edge, a lot of metal will need to be removed. What a waste. Or, buy a Shun electric sharpener. They are set at 16 degrees, just like all their knives.

Buzz

i might have to buy one of these for my cheap-o knives... but i'll still send my "expensive" knives to the pros.

black chef said:
i might have to buy one of these for my cheap-o knives... but i'll still send my "expensive" knives to the pros.

Right you are. If you have your knives often sharpened professionally it might be cost effective to get yourself an EdgePro. Also, get a wood mounted strop and 1/2 micron cromium oxide here. I promise you an edge like you have never before seen. Good commercial sharpeners have EdgePros in their equipment inventory because they produce as close to a perfect edge angle as you can get. No guessing.

Buzz

I didn't know that European and Asian knives had different edge angles. Thank you buzzard767 for very useful information.

I've changed my mind

Just wanted to update my position on this device. I used this on my 8" chef's knife (mid-level quality), it got very sharp, but it also felt like it had a rougher edge than when I used my Lansky system. Well, the edge came off of it within two months and I had to re-sharpen my knife.

When I used my Lansky system in the past, I wasn't using proper sharpening technique (unbeknownst to me), so the accusharp seemed like it did a better job in less time. This time, I found a tutorial on proper sharpening technique before I sharpened my knife. Well, there is a world of difference. I haven't had a chance to see how long the edge will last, but my cuts feel smoother and so does the blade edge. The accusharp is great for pocket knives, but I'll never use it on my kitchen knives again! (ok, maybe my cheap paring knives).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom