Can you freeze coriander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoapenny

Assistant Cook
Can you freeze coriander?

i freeze parsley all the time, been told you can also do basil, but what about coriander as it has such a strong flavour .......:huh: will it ruin it ??

They sell it at my local Trader Joe's market - it's minced and in these tiny little trays (like mini-ice cubes), so I'm sure you could do the same thing with great results.

that`s how I do mine, I grow my own Coriander, I wash it and chop it up, then ram it into an empty icecube tray and freeze them, when frozen I pop them out into a plastic bag and store in the freezer, I can take as much or as little as I want then :)

I think it depends on how you intend to use it. I would not use frozen chopped corrainder as a garnish to my salsas and dishes I make. The fresh corrainder has a bite and zing that would be lost if it's frozen.

If you are just using it in stews or curries it may be fine, but again nothing like fresh corriander as a garnish. Freezing it makes it soggy.

I don`t think the intention was as a garnish :)

although it still works from frozen in a riata quite nicely.

I guess I don't get the ice cube tray idea.

I chop up cilantro (with garlic, usually) and measure out 1T dollops which I seal in Press and Seal wrap or regular plastic wrap and freeze flat. Then I put them in a quart-size freezer bag.

you wash and chop it up, then press into an empty ice cube tray, then freeze it, you then pop out the individual blocks of frozen herb and put them into a bag and return to the freezer.
then when you want some you take a cube or more out depending on what you need.

YT2095 said:
you wash and chop it up, then press into an empty ice cube tray, then freeze it, you then pop out the individual blocks of frozen herb and put them into a bag and return to the freezer.
then when you want some you take a cube or more out depending on what you need.

Yes, I know that. But I still don't understand going to the trouble of the ice cube tray.

My point is that using the tray adds a whole 'nother step that IMO doesn't seem to add much value.

Freezing the herb in plastic wrap saves a step and, as they are frozen flat, takes up a lot less space in the freezer.

I used to use the ice cube tray method but dispensed with it when it seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

why spend all that time and extra plastic when the method I employ uses a single plastic bag and if very fast to do?
it`s used in Industry all the time too :)

YT2095 said:
why spend all that time and extra plastic when the method I employ uses a single plastic bag and if very fast to do?
it`s used in Industry all the time too :)

Because it takes hardly more time than the ice cube method. The herbs are wrapped tightly and not open to freezer burn in the plastic bag. You don't have to have space for extra ice cube trays or go without. You don't have to remember to go back and pop them out of the tray and into a bag. Since they are flat they take up half the space in the freezer. I freeze loads of leftover stuff, so that's important.

I know it's an industry practice but a commerical kitchen has more freezer space and uses up the product faster than I do.

LOL, it`s TNT here and I/we eat coriander probably at the same rate as a Commercial kitchen anyway, so we`ve never had a prob with it :)

maybe that`s it?

:) We eat a lot of it too, but not nearly as much as you do, I bet. I freeze it because there is always some left over from a nice fresh bunch and I hate it when it goes bad! I grow it in my garden but when I see a very nice fresh bunch at the store in the winter (Boston folks -- think Super 88) it always jumps in my cart.

I don`t blame ya! do you ever let any of your home-grown go to seed and use those also? we do, I dry them and take some away for next years planting and the rest I cook with, gives lovely Citrus type type of smell :)

I`ve also Dried it too and that works, you need a paper bag and put the leaves (still in the little stems) in whole and done squash them and place in the fridge, it only works in Frost Free type fridges, after about 2 weeks they`re all crunchy dry and still smell Very Nice too :)
only problem is that you can`t do too many at a time, but crushed and sprinkled on a dish later the smell is like WOW! :)

Now I am kicking myself because I had a big plant go to seed this summer and I didn't think to save the seeds! :angry: :( Grrrrr. I will try that this summer, though.

You know, I inadvertanly dried some about 3 weeks ago. It was on the counter and dried out perfectly with almost no help at all. I dry my garden basil and almost prefer the dry to fresh because of what you say:

crushed and sprinkled on a dish later the smell is like WOW!

Well, the dry cilantro smelled WOW, but tasted more than a wee bit bitter, so I tossed it. Any ideas why?

no idea in all honesty, probably some sort of arial oxidation would be the most likely cause, whereas the Aromatics are less suceptible.

^^^ Only a Guess though ^^^

I just whizzed some up in the FP and added a little oil. Keeping in the fridge.

I dont like the freezing idea, because the fragrance will lost when it sogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, skip the ice cube phase. I put fresh herbs in a baggie and freeze it flat. Then I crush it and take out what I need. No, it isn't as good as fresh, but then what is? If you're like me and live somewhere where the winters can be harsh, it is the next best thing. You can also make pesto type condiments and freeze them.

Back
Top Bottom