Gas VS electric oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobkeenan

Assistant Cook
I am still shopping for a new range/oven. I was going down the path of all gas. That is what I have cooked with for 30+ years. I did electric before that and in between a little. I have no doubt in my mind that I prefer a gas range. BUT.... after talking to a few sales people they have me thinking about the dual fuel option where the oven would be electric. The thing that got my attentions was that they said that breads, pastries, etc. would be flakier and/or better crusted in an electric oven.

Is there a big difference between gas and electric stoves like this?

Electric ovens are generally preferred over gas. I'd go with a dual fuel if I was in the market.

A natural by-product of burning natural gas is water. This results in a moist oven environment.

Hi, this is my first post here. I'm finishing a major kitchen renovation, so this subject is one near and dear to my heart. I agonized over this decision because the range is the most important facet of my kitchen. I purchased an all gas Wolf prostyle range and have used it for 3 months now. I absolutely love it! Cooking is consistent and baking and roasting are so much more consistent than my old electric oven. I helped a caterer who had a duel fuel Dacor and was not impressed. Cookies baked unevenly and the burners were much too hot. All 6 of my burners have a simmer feature. Now I gave up the self clean option, but I couldn't justify the extra expense as well as fear that electronic controls could be compromised with the high heat clean function. Good luck in your decision. You have to weigh all options and do a little compromise.

For a stove-top ... I would definitely pick gas.

For an oven ... I would go electric and convection.

As Andy M. noted ... a natural by-product of burning natural gas is water. This could be good for bread, but problematic for other baking.

for solid, unbiased opinion, sales people are the last people on earth you want to talk to.

nothing beats gas.

convection ovens are great for speed, but beware of hot spot problems.

electric stove top really s_cks, in my questionably humble opinion.
icon12.gif

Gas ovens are uneven in their temperature range and therefore, in baking pastries, etc. are not as reliable. The dual fuel in that case would be preferable.

I prefer an electric oven. I find them easier to control and more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom