What adult beverage are you drinking right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't think we have a thread like this anywhere and I thought it would be nice to see what us refined DC'ers drink ;)

I am drinking a most delightful bottle (sharing with DH of course) of a 2003 Domaine Du Vieux Lazaret, Cuvee Exceptionnelle, Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

It's a red blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre (commonly called GSM) grown in the Rhone region of France.

Nice light tannins, just a hint of spice/pepper, a little cherry or raspberry (it's still hard to discern some fruits), a bit of maybe earth/leather/smoke (still have trouble choosing one of those) and a hint of a mineral note.

I really have to learn wines for my job. So........what are you drinking?

Robo410 said:
malt wiskey, neat; rye is also very fine; carminere; ipa

Are you having the buffet or something? :LOL: Surely you are not drinking all of those right now.....are you? What are you drinking NOW - if you ARE having the buffet I'll be right over!

Right this very moment I'm drinking rooibos tea. ;) Earlier I had a Tsingtao beer. Your "GSM" sounds lovely, kitchenelf. Red wines are my favorite, but my husband prefers to spend less than $8.00/bottle on "everyday" table wines so if I want something nicer I have to give it to him for Christmas, birthday, or manufacture an occasion, LOL. We do have some decent stuff in the cellar which tends to come out on the odd weekend. I will say, though, that the Crane Lake Sangiovese he's been buying lately is quite decent for a cheap red. Better than any of the other cheap reds he's found in a long while! We had that with lamb shanks the other night. (We're having great leftovers this week from a chicken and artichoke casserole I made Saturday and the braised lamb shanks I made on Sunday. Monday I made calamari piccata which turned out very nicely also but there were no leftovers. ;))

at the moment, bourbon, mixed with diet coke(gotta watch the girlish figure). If drinking straight, makers mark or bookers.

I would be remiss if as a Bermudian, I didn't mention Gosslings, great rum. I love a dark and stormy too.

My drinking preferences are seasonal. I never planned for that, but it has rather evolved as the years marched on. I enjoy vodka, rum and tequila in the spring and summer months, especially martinis, dark & stormies, mojitos, margaritas (never ever frozen)...and in the autumn and winter months I like whiskey, bourbon and scotch, particularly sazeracs, rob roys, manhattans, etc.

I'm partial to pinot noir, but have always enjoyed any of the reds. I also love Martel Cordon Bleu.

For cocktails, I drink Crown Royal OTR in the colder months and Tanqueray and tonic with extra lime in the warm months.

Samuel Adams Winter Lager is my favorite beer.

I drink red wine most often. Red zin, pinot noir, merlot, cab, and some tasty blends.

Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Neat. There are several "top shelf" labels I enjoy!

In the summer, after an especially hot, 3 bath day, I do sometimes enjoy a couple of Very cold beers relaxing on the patio while grillin or Q'ing.

For my money the best is ten year old, Old Charter Kentucky Bourban. There are some good Tennessee Whiskeys but Charter Ten is my favorite.

Would it be dreadful to own up to more than one?! In mitigation, I will say that I have just finished a glass of water.

Most often, I prefer a white wine, especially a crisp chardonnay. My DH is like Franca's, he hates to spend over $ 10.00 a bottle .He says he just can't really tell the difference between a more expensive wine and a less (read cheaper) expensive one. I can sneak one in ocasionally, though, and he enjoys it.

Franca said:
Right this very moment I'm drinking rooibos tea. ;) Earlier I had a Tsingtao beer. Your "GSM" sounds lovely, kitchenelf. Red wines are my favorite, but my husband prefers to spend less than $8.00/bottle on "everyday" table wines so if I want something nicer I have to give it to him for Christmas, birthday, or manufacture an occasion, LOL. We do have some decent stuff in the cellar which tends to come out on the odd weekend. I will say, though, that the Crane Lake Sangiovese he's been buying lately is quite decent for a cheap red. Better than any of the other cheap reds he's found in a long while! We had that with lamb shanks the other night. (We're having great leftovers this week from a chicken and artichoke casserole I made Saturday and the braised lamb shanks I made on Sunday. Monday I made calamari piccata which turned out very nicely also but there were no leftovers. ;))

Franca - the Crane Lake Petite Syrah is very good too! I agree with you, the Sangiovese is divine for the money. How much to you pay a bottle? We sell it for $6.99 and it is by far the best value for the money. The Chard is ok, I don't like the Sauvignon Blanc or the Pinot Grigio.

I changed the title of the thread to make it more clear what it's about.

crewsk said:
Well, it was going to be JD, Evan Williams, or Rock & Rye. I keep R&R on hand for medicinal purposes only.

Evan Williams is a Kentucky Bourbon....and some of their "top shelf" labels can be nice. I used to drink the brand many years ago. In fact I think I have a bottle somewhere in my "bunker" but never pour any of it..as I prefer other brands now.

Cheers....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom