Herbs: basil, parsley, etc..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redrabbit

Assistant Cook
I've read a lot of recipes where the ingredients call for: "Fresh basil" or "Leaves of some other herb".

How many actually use these fresh leaves, or have the plants in their kitchen?

Do you all just use dry stuff?

I had a small herb garden while I lived in Michigan. I want to get some going here in Oklahoma as well, but my growing space is going to be limited to pots.

Using fresh herbs, at least for me, in not that big a deal. I like to put some fresh chives on baked potatoes, but, I only bake potatoes once or twice a year, therefore; growing chives specifically for baked taters is not cost-effective. We don't really use fresh herbs enough to justify growing them. If I have a recipe that really needs fresh herbs, I can always go and buy a small package of the herb, unless it's some esoteric herb that isn't readily available in the average grocery store.

hmm, I was considering growing some this year in some pots. I've never done this before, so it may be quite fun, even if I don't use them much, still be nice to grow them.

I have a friend who is going to grow his own tomatoes.

Grow them in big (6-8") pots outside. You will love having them and herbs are basically "weeds" and grow easily. BUT be sure to keep either using them or snipping them back. Basil, for example, should never be allowed to flower. That signals the plant that it is time to go to seed, and it will begin to die back. Also, snipping/using encourages the plant to make a branch and become bigger/fuller.
Think about thyme, parsley, basil (maybe more than one kind). You can snip off a good branch of basil and put it in water on your counter and just use it from there, when you have a lot. It will even root within days and you can have another plant. It is that easy!!

During the growing season I have 2 types of basil, 2 types of parsley, oregano, cilantro, lemon thyme (that keeps trying to take over); rosemary and fennel outside my kitchen as staples. During the 'lean' months I resort to buying in the store fresh basil, parsley or cilantro. I clean and air dry oregano and rosemary during the winter months.

Last year I put in my first herb garden. The basil plants weren't on the big size so I thought what the heck and bought 4.....big mistake those things became monsters and I ultimately pulled them all up at the beginning of fall. I'm hoping the garden isn't taken over with offspring this year. What I want to do instead is pot one basil plant in a container and that way I can contain it and bring it in in the winter.

My rosemary did beautifully and thats one plant I think would grow into a tree if I let it.

I have to say its so great to be able to walk out your door and snip this and that fresh herb, not to mention how much you save not buying it in the stores.

I do plan to add a few different herbs this year. Last year it was Parsley, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Marjoram and Dill. Its a wait and see to determine what survived the winter.
Oh yes forgot to mention I had Sage too.

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
I have to say its so great to be able to walk out your door and snip this and that fresh herb, not to mention how much you save not buying it in the stores.

DITTO! That is definitely one of benefits of fresh herbs, convenience and savings. :cool:

redrabbit said:
hmm, I was considering growing some this year in some pots. I've never done this before, so it may be quite fun, even if I don't use them much, still be nice to grow them.

I have a friend who is going to grow his own tomatoes.
Redrabbit,
I grow, Basil, Majoram,chives,thyme, parsley and rosemary..All of them except the rosemary and chives are in 1/2 barrels in the sun. The chives I have in a pot as I don't use them as much, but the rosemay is in the ground and I wish I'd used a barrel for them. They tend to get large stems and really good sized plants, but since I use them often it's fine..There is nithing like the smell of fresh cut herbs..Dry are fine in many cases, but oh, the fresh is such a delight. I also, grow tomatoes, cucumbers,bell peppers,Italian long green sweet peppers, when I can find see or plants, eggplant. I also have a white peach tree, 3 reg peach trees, a nectarine, tangerine,4 grape plants..A lot to tend too, but worth the work.

kadesma:)

We only have a limited space on our kitchen window sill at the moment, there we keep flat leaved parsley, basil and thyme during the warmer months. They don't endure the winter months, and this period we really miss them... but it is almost time to plant the herbs anew... woohoo!! It is great, they tastes so much better, you wouldn't realize what you are missing until you try the fresh herbs, but you will immediately appreciate the huge difference.
If you have a space even for a little planter, I definitely recommend it, it is very easy to care for them, doesn't take too long before you can "harvest", and the convenience of being able to snip what you need every time, instead of having to buy a big bunch then not knowing what to do with all of them before thy go bad.
When we have more space in our new flat, I would love to expand to some oregano, tiny spring onion herbs, and coriander.

I grow several of my own herbs, but if I don't grow them I buy them rather than use dried herbs. Fresh parsley and fresh basil are by no means the same as dried parsley or basil. The taste and the aroma are totally different and as far as I'm concerned you can actually ruin a dish with those two dried herbs. The only herb I prefer dried is oregano. It is actually a fact that dried oregano is more potent than fresh and develops a better flavor. I grow rosemary (tons of it lines my driveway) sage, marjoram, and thyme.

redrabbit said:
I've read a lot of recipes where the ingredients call for: "Fresh basil" or "Leaves of some other herb".

How many actually use these fresh leaves, or have the plants in their kitchen?

Do you all just use dry stuff?

RR, I prefer fresh herbs any day of the week, over dried, but that also depends on the recipe and availability. I don't grow anything, but fortunate enough to have fresh everything almost all year round at the market. If you're using dried, be sure to store in a cool dark place & replace about every six months. As far as freezing herbs in ice cube trays, or otherwise, I don't. Fresh is best & very inexpensive.

fresh makes a difference in many recipes, especially those with fresh ingredients and little cooking time. slow cooked stews etc, do very well with dried herbs.

ex: an omlet with fresh chives is bright and vibrant in color and flavor. Use dried chives and you have green specks in your eggs!

THat said: make sure your dired herbs are "fresh" ... buy small bottles and date them. Toss after a yr or 18 months. "Dust" does not improve the flavor of anything. Also consider giving yuor dried herbs a once over inthen motar and pestle to release the flavors before adding to your foods.

I grow them in the garden & in pots on the deck in the summer; buy them fresh in the winter. Pretty much only use dried for certain recipes or in a pinch.

ttbeachbum said:
During the growing season I have 2 types of basil, 2 types of parsley, oregano, cilantro, lemon thyme (that keeps trying to take over); rosemary and fennel outside my kitchen as staples. During the 'lean' months I resort to buying in the store fresh basil, parsley or cilantro. I clean and air dry oregano and rosemary during the winter months.

Me too. I grow all my own in the summer and buy it fresh in the winter if the recipe necessitates it.

I often use dry herbs, many of them I've dried myself.

99.99% of the time I use only 3 herbs:dill, parsley, cilantro. And if recipe calls for fresh, that is what I use. Of course in soup you could add some dry stuff, but if you are making pesto, then it must be fresh basil.

I grow basil, rosemary, majoram, peppers. I quit the tomatos because I think they are to much work.

later

99% of the time I use fresh. I don't have plants in the kitchen but buy what I need from the grocer when I shop.

The flavour is ever so much better when you use fresh herbs. Try it, you'll see the difference.

I love fresh herbs, but like other have limited space. I always grow a LOT of flat and curly leaf parsley, then wash, de-stem, and freeze on cookie sheets, then place in freezer bags for the winter months. I can gaze and revel at a garden/ nursery for hours, rubbing the leaves between my fingers and breathing in the essence of how fresh the herb is. Like smelling the depths of a fine wine. Rosemary is my all-time favorite. I buy it only to sit by and smell, although I do not care for the flavor. It is wonderful infused in grapeseed oil in a warm window, and used for problem skin or during the winter months for colds. Our second favorite, is mint, plucked right off the plant and chewed. My daughter's favorite is the chocolate mint, and the summer becomes very disappointing if we cannot find it!!!

For all of you who grow your own herbs and veggies, consider companion plant Sweet Alyssum with your crops.

Not only does Alyssum smell great it also attract Syrphid Flies (AKA: Hover Flies). Syrphid Flies are great pollinators and are also a natural predator of aphids. A heads up that Syrphid Flies resemble small wasps but they are absolutely harmless, unless of course you’re an aphid. :eek:

I have been using Alyssum companioned in containers with tomatoes and basil (basil is said to intensify the flavour of tomatoes) for the last number of years and have seen an increase in my crop yields and definite reduction in aphid populations.

Great to use close to roses as well. I have to mention one last time Alyssum smells great…in the heat of the summer the scent is amazing and I always get compliments from my visitors.

Tiffeny,

I love sweet alyssum, too, and it's beautiful since it's a low growing border plant placed in front of brightly colored plants. In Houston, however, it's considered an early spring/spring plant. It can't take our hot summers. Glad to know that it can help the productivity and flavor of some veggies.

Back
Top Bottom