Grilled Salmon Sandwiches - aunt's recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few weeks ago, I went to my aunt's house for dinner to seek some comfort food. You know, the type that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in your tummy when you eat it. Anyways, she made me these along with a side of red and green cabbage coleslaw.. So nice :)

Serves 4
Prep time 15 minutes.

8 slices of bread (whole wheat or white)
1 large tin of canned salmon (skinned and bones removed, liquid drained)
2 tbsp of relish
2 tbsp of mayonnaise
1 small white onion finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of tarragon
Butter for pan frying

Mix the salmon with all the ingredients, except the butter and the bread slices in a bowl until well combined. Separate the filling into 4 equal portions. Butter one slice of bread, with buttered side down, put filling on unbuttered side. Butter second slice and place on top of filling, butter side up. Repeat to make three more sandwiches. Heat up frying pan on medium and grill each sandwich until golden brown. Serve immediately.

The original recipe is here: Cassie's Kitchen Recipes: Salmon Grilled Sandwiches

Yummmeeee! I love canned salmon, and often mix mustard and sweet relish in with it to make a spread for crackers. I never thought of making a toasted sandwich with it though. I think I'll add a slice of cheese, just to make it good and gooey.
Tell your aunt that I said thank you!

Just recently I started making salmon patties and I really enjoy them, too. Can't believe I missed out on them for so many years.

The only way to make this or tuna better is to poach fresh tuna or salmon and do it from that. Tuna salad from fresh tuna is unbelievably good--spread the bread with a bit of pesto and then tuna salad. Make it on the NYTIMES bread recipe bread and make a panini if you want.
As for expense, if you poach a piece of tuna you get a LOT of "meat"--much more than from a "6 oz. can of tuna".

I NEVER buy canned tuna any more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom