Anyone Own a Stuffing Cage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Do any of you own a stuffing cage?:ermm:

Sounds strange, but there actually is such a thing. I bought one from Chefscatalog.com last year, but I haven't used it yet because I haven't roasted a turkey in quite a while.

You open the gadget, which automatically is devided into two halves when you do. You put the uncooked stuffing in both halves, close it and put it in the breast cavity when you are ready to roast the bird. It makes removing the suffing easier and less messy.

It's supposed to accommodate a 14-pounder.

Gadgetaholics Annonymous

:LOL: My name is Corey123 and Im a gadgetaholic!:LOL:
:LOL: My name is jpmcgrew and I also am a gadgetaholic!:LOL:

Last edited:
:) Ok!We have 3 members so far.OK people.
Come out come out where ever you are.
We know you are out there.

Last edited:
I gave up stuffing turkeys years ago. I still make dressings & enjoy trying new recipes, but have given up stuffing them inside the bird. Too much trouble. And since I like using the turkey carcass for stock, all those stuffing bits still attached are unpleasant.

But for those of you who enjoy it - I say GO FOR IT!!!

I can't figure out why you would want to do that. BUT if you DO want to do that, put your stuffing in some cheesecloth and put it in the turkey cavity.

Alton Brown used a cotton cooking bag. He put the stuffing into the bag and microwaved it to heat it up then put then bag full of hot stuffing into the turkey just before putting it into the oven.

Candocook said:
I can't figure out why you would want to do that. BUT if you DO want to do that, put your stuffing in some cheesecloth and put it in the turkey cavity.

BINGO! Yes, Cando, simple idea. Easy and everything can be removed easily. Plus, if you want to use the carcass for stock, no stuffing to flavor the broth.

I just thought that it's a nice thing to have.

It IS solid and constructed very well, and there's a handle on it that allows you to pull the cage out of the bird when it's done.

Put simply, it helps eliminate the hassles of digging out the stuffing with a spoon! I'm going to try it soon with a 14-pounder.

Never heard of a stuffing cage, and believe me, I have a lot of gadgets. I have been making dressing for the last few years. The cheesecloth idea is a good one, though.

I make stuffing for our 24 pounder every year and we don't have a whole lot of trouble (as in NONE) spooning it out of there.
The REAL problem we have is that there is never enough stuffing. I stuff the neck cavity also and that can be taken out as a whole piece--sort of as I guess is the idea for a cage.
I actually like the flavor of the turkey stock with the dressing/sagey taste. Very rich tasting.

I will confess I am a recovering gadgetaholic, I felt I must get something in my life under control (the rest of my 'aholicisms' I just enjoy).

But even in the depths of my addiction, at three AM on a Sunday morning with a wee dram in me, I don't think I would have succombed to a spiel for a dressing cage.

But that is not criticism, hardly. I have so many useless gizmos that will not even sell on Ebay that I am not one to talk.

I don't know how many items I have to probe the most private parts of a shrimp's anatomy to remove its intestine and tear off its shell. None of them are worth a darn. But at one time I thought one of them would make one of life's most difficult tasks simple.

Have some plastic cooking oven that cost a bunch I have never used, and then there is this expensive electrric smoker gizmo I could probably turn into a planter.

Could go on and on.

Have been through the twelve step program. The last test was to sit through a six hour nonstop Ron Propeil marathon with a phone and credit card in your hand. If you call anyone but your mother you are bumped back to step one.

And I made it!

Now I have to start working on my cookbook buying urge.

And who knows, someday I may be out there searching for another addiction to get over.

Just a thought.

Tme for my medication.

Candocook said:
I make stuffing for our 24 pounder every year and we don't have a whole lot of trouble (as in NONE) spooning it out of there.
The REAL problem we have is that there is never enough stuffing. I stuff the neck cavity also and that can be taken out as a whole piece--sort of as I guess is the idea for a cage.
I actually like the flavor of the turkey stock with the dressing/sagey taste. Very rich tasting.

Yeah, I also, in the past, would put some of the stuffing in the neck cavity also. but as of late, I've been cutting back on the amount of stuffing that I make, since it's only me.

That is, unless I invite friends and family members over for dinner. And yes, I, too, like to use the drippings from the bird for the stuffing and for gravy.

Yeah, Auntdot, I think I got enough gadgets myself, so I think I ease up and just chill out on that.

Back
Top Bottom