What herbs go w/ what flavors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
We've all seen those herb charts, but they are so generalized I find them not useful. Does anyone have a website or a chart that shows what herbs are best for what flavors?

Here is what I mean: Basil seems to go well in mildly sour stuff like w/ cheese, or tomato. But if you add vinegar to it, it just tastes blah. Totally kills the taste.

Tarragon would go well in vinegars or tart dishes, but not in a spicy hot dish.

Does anyone have a chart of list that would help with this sort of thing?

In the Sweet Kitchen has a great section on flavorings that go well together, mostly spices and things like choc. and fruits.
Personal experience: tarragon w/seafood dishes (etouffee, creole, but not gumbo, messes w/the thyme I think) especially crab and fish.
Rosemary....poultry, pork,
Sage...stuffing, beef stew
basil...tomato
oragano..same
allspice..warm, I add it to tomato soup, helps the basil out.
thyme...gumbo, stews
summer savory...great in beans, especially white/navy beans and cassoullette (sp)
I make a latin spice mix that I use in a lot of stuff, look it up on epicurious.com, I use it in the shrimp/sweetpotato cakes, and the chipolte slaw that they serve w/it, also add to my chili
chives in salads and omlets

here you go but i don't really follow ne of these exactly but hopethis helps
woot 300th post
Soups- chervil, garlic, marjoram, mint, parsley, rosemary, savory, tarragon, thyme

Fish- basil, bay, chervil, chives, dill, fennel, lemon thyme, marjoram, mint, parsley

Game & Poultry- bay, rosemary, sage, savory, sweet marjoram

red Meat - basil, bay, chervil, marjoram, mint, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, savory, tarragon, thyme

Casseroles- bay, chives, dill, fennel, marjoram, oregano, parsley, sage, savory, thyme

Marinades - basil, bay, dill, fennel, mint, parsley, rosemary, tarragon

Eggs and Cheese - basil, chervil, chives, dill, parsley, tarragon

Salads- basil, chervil, chives, coriander, dill, fennel, marjoram, mint, parsley, savory, tarragon, thyme

Edible Florals - bergamot, borage, calendula, nasturtium, primrose, rose petals, violet

Okay those lists are useful but what I am looking for is one that is based on the flavors instead of what type of food.

I.e. Hot/spicy: cayenne, coriander, basil, etc.

Sour: curry type, tarragon,

bittersweet: anise,...

A little known fact is that turmeric goes well with some sweets like cookies, cake and icecream. However, it also adds a bright yellow color which may be disconcerting. This yellow color can be avoided by using turmeric essential oil obtained by steam distillation.

basil (imo)is not spicy, but fresh and clean. spicy is hot and well...spicy
tarragon isn't( imo )hot... it actually has an anise like flavor.it's like basil, fresh.
hot and warm spices are
ginger (sweet too)
allspice
cinnamon
red pepper
cumin
garlic
black pepper

Yes southern cook I know that. I was not making a list of what spices ARE hot or what spices ARE sweet. I am trying to create a chart or list of what spices can be used in what flavor ranges. What flavors do they compliment and which ones do they simply wash out in.

For instance vinegar tends to wash out the flavor of basil. WHereas Tarragon is fine in that medium. maybe all spices can be used w/ all flavors and my entire premise is wrong, I dunno...

like basil = tomato sauce?
tarragon = tarragon vinagar?
sage = beef bases???????

star anise is good w/chicken...hot and sweet.

I'ml sorry, I'm not being a jerk here, I just don't know, can't figure, or am too stupid to understand what you're looking for. If there's something specific you're trying to undertake, I could maybe help...like herbed vinagars..got lots of recipes.

WEll maybe that is a better idea. What herbs can or cannot work in vinegar medium? Tarragon for sure. Basil, not in my opinion. My aunt bottled some in vinegar and it's just not the same.

Are there any that function in tomato but not in vinegar? This might be what I'm looking at. Parsley?

Like the thing w/ sage. I am just beginning to use it in bean dishes and it is terrific. That is why I am not so high on the chart to match what herb w/ what food, sage + beans is just not on there.

I got to playing with the sage and added tomato sauce and cayenne papper to make a more heartier bean recipe. I noticed that some herbs like this sort of heartier treatment and others perhaps not so...

Actually basil is considered "pungent." BUt I like your description of it as "clean." As for tarragon/fennel, I have noticed these are great in sweet/sour dishes at least the fennel is. What herbs work well w/ sweet and sour?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom