Hot Jambalaya!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dancer in the kitchen

Senior Cook
I just made a big pot of jambalaya & tried to keep it relatively mild. I didn't add hot sauce or cayenne pepper. I did add chiroz (sp?) sausage, but I made sure it wasn't the hot kind. Guess it's still a bit spicy. :ohmy: My family is a bit wimpy when it comes to spicy. Any suggestions as to how I can tone it down a bit? :huh: Help! :cry:

mudbug said:
what did you put in it that makes it too hot for your family? the tomatoes?

I'm thinkin' it may have been the sausage. I've already tried to dilute it with some chicken stock & I'm serving it over brown rice with corn bread. I love hot food, but they don't. I'm always making stuff for them & I try to compromise when I make stuff I like. Didn't do so well on this one :(

did you put any chicken in it? they could pick out the sausage (more for you - bonus!) and they still get to eat the rest of the stuff.

mudbug said:
did you put any chicken in it? they could pick out the sausage (more for you - bonus!) and they still get to eat the rest of the stuff.

Yup! There's chicken in there too. I tasted the broth & felt the heat in the back of my throat. They don't know about it yet. I'm trying to save dinner! :LOL:

Dancer, if you can whip something else up for supper tonight and let that sit overnight it might not be so hot tomorrow. Time mellows that heat quite well. Maybe its a good night for pizza?

Alix said:
Dancer, if you can whip something else up for supper tonight and let that sit overnight it might not be so hot tomorrow. Time mellows that heat quite well. Maybe its a good night for pizza?

I'll have them try it & if it's too much for them then . . . PBJs all around! :LOL:

Well, my family survived dinner & actually liked it. I was just tasting the broth, so I guess that by itself was the spicy part. As a whole, it was still a little spicy & they said their mouths were on fire, but THEY ATE IT!

Thanks for all the input!

Dancer in the kitchen: It sounds like spicy food is your cooking cuisine. There's nothing wrong with that. There are certain foods that I make that have some "kick" to them. When I make something that is naturally spicy, I serve it with things like crackers & cubed cheese, sour cream topping, and very bland vegetables & potatoes on the side. A glass of cold milk or a vanilla shake is also out there.

StirBlue said:
Dancer in the kitchen: It sounds like spicy food is your cooking cuisine. There's nothing wrong with that. There are certain foods that I make that have some "kick" to them. When I make something that is naturally spicy, I serve it with things like crackers & cubed cheese, sour cream topping, and very bland vegetables & potatoes on the side. A glass of cold milk or a vanilla shake is also out there.

I did serve it with brown rice & corn muffins, so that helped. I like the idea of the vanilla shake. The girls would've loved that! I'll keep that in mind as well! Thanks! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom