In Praise of Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buck

DC's Angel
Found this quote earlier today and thought it pretty well sums up the truth:

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French.
Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy
sauce
makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good. -Alice May Brock, author

mudbug said:
other than with Rice Krispies, it's hard to think of much that isn't better with garlic.

What!! Not on Rice Krispies? Are you daft, woman?:rolleyes: Everyone knows all you have to do is saute the darlin' little rice puffs in evoo with some garlic, then put them on your salad. Hah! Take that!:LOL:

Muddie,
Just make your milkshake with this!
It's gotta be good, it's from Gilroy.

• [FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial]
    [*] 1 1/2 tsp Gelatin
    [*] 1/4 cup cold water
    [*] 2 cups milk
    [*] 3/4-1 cup sugar
    [*] 2 tblsp lemon juice
    [*] 2 cloves garlic, minced
    [*] 2 cups whipping cream
    [*] Strawberry topping (or other fruit)
    [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial] [/FONT] [FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial]Directions: [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial]Soak the gelatin in cold water while you heat to a boil the milk, sugar and salt. Dissolve the gelatin in the hot milk. Cool, then add the lemon juice and garlic. Chill the mixture until slushy. Whip the cream until thick but not stiff and stir into the mixture. Freeze in a mold, or in a foil-covered tray.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial]Garnish servings with the fresh fruit topping. Serves 6-8.[/FONT]

The good people of Gilroy should know, Buck. What would I be using re: gelatin? The stuff that comes in packets like jello, only plainer?

mudbug said:
The good people of Gilroy should know, Buck. What would I be using re: gelatin? The stuff that comes in packets like jello, only plainer?

Okay, ya know, mudbug, I'd have to ask if this was a legit recipe. 'Cause, ya know...the source. Uh, Buck, that is.

There are times when I'm not sure whether he's being serious or not. Can you see why he shouldn't be trusted in the kitchen?:LOL:

Well, I was going to comment on the un-milkshake like consistency of this recipe, but then I remembered how easily his feelings are hurt.

Muddie,
Katie just informed me that you expected ME to make you a milk shake. No problemo. Just PM me your mailing address. I'll pour the milkshake into an envelope and send it on its way.

Your faithful servant,
Buck

Constance said:
I've seen the Food Network special on the garlic festival they have in Gilroy, and they do serve garlic flavored ice cream. :sick:

Actually, Connie, our daughter lives in Los Angeles and eats at a restaurant called The Stinking Rose, which is a garlic specialty place. She reports that the garlic ice cream is quite tasty. Not garlicky at all.

Katie E said:
Actually, Connie, our daughter lives in Los Angeles and eats at a restaurant called The Stinking Rose, which is a garlic specialty place. She reports that the garlic ice cream is quite tasty. Not garlicky at all.

I've been to the Stinking Rose restaurant in San Francisco.

Katie, I'll try almost anything once.

I had to look at that first raw oyster a long while before I had the nerve to pop it in my mouth. I was immediately hooked...love'em!

Despite the continuing Gilroy Garlic Festival, the garlic industry there is not what it once was, thanks largely to cheap Chinese imports and to the outrageous price of land that close to the Bay Area (i.e., what used to be garlic fields is now tract homes).

In any case, I love garlic, use about a head per week, and I distrust anyone who doesn't like the stinking rose. BUT, like all good things, it can be overdone. I shake my head at the "kick it up a notch" crowd who dump handfuls of garlic in everything they make. It has no place in ice cream or smoothies, and too much can overpower even a hearty stew or sauce. Use the tastebuds God gave you when you cook, not some juvenile sense of "OMG!"

BTW, my grandfather was born in Gilroy in 1877.

Back
Top Bottom