Afternoon treat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Do you have a favorite afternoon treat? It seems that about midday, my batteries need recharging. Being I can't have caffeine, I make myself a cup of Decaffeinated French Vanilla instant coffee everyday about 2:00. I found a new brand at Target, it's made by Archer Farms. Very good. How about you, what do you do for an afternoon lift?

My afternoon pick up is saltines, topped with some shredded cheese...then microwaved. :)

kitchenelf said:
Double shot of espresso with honey or a latte

No wonder you're up so late!!:ROFLMAO: ;)

I usually like carbs mid-afternoon. I'll have a handfull of tortilla chips, or some cheese and crackers. If we have trail mix in the house, I'll dip into that, too. Once it's warmer, it'll be easier to eat veggies and dip or some fruit.

Mid-afternoon used to be my junk food snacking time but now that Sofie has an afternoon snack, too, I'm trying to set a better example.

If we are in town my snack is a london fog and if Aidan has earned it, we go share a chocolate cake donut. I've never been a huge donut fanatic but there is this new place in town, yummy donuts.

If we are home, I get snackish for chips and usually we don't have any. I like to make extra cheese sauce when I make my mac and cheese, so that I can dip tortilla chips in it later. I suppose you could call it cheese fondue. lol.

As a late riser I rarely do lunch, and I ususally supply myself with afternoon munchies during the course of the day. Yogurts, fruits, pieces of chocs, waffles or biscuits, or if I am hungrier maybe a little panino.
When I was in England, sometimes I skipped breakies so I could enjoy proper high tea late in the afternoon to the full scale!

These days it is late afternoon when I am feeling peckish, and I have to be careful that I don't eat a lot then, because otherwise I'm not hungry when DH gets home from work. I need to figure out the right afternoon snack for me!

We usually have coffee mid afternoon and sometimes I'll do the spoon into the peanut butter jar thing, or eat a handful of grapes.

lulu said:
These days it is late afternoon when I am feeling peckish, and I have to be careful that I don't eat a lot then, because otherwise I'm not hungry when DH gets home from work. I need to figure out the right afternoon snack for me!

I'm having the late munchies, too Lulu. Mr HB has eaten dinner alone for the last few days. I try to eat some soup then but sometimes I'm just not hungry.

I don`t eat during the daytime at all, but on the few instances I have (maybe twice over the last 8 years) I did the peanut butter thing that Bethzaring does :)

After I discovered that my snacks were about 2000 in calories, I started opting for a small meal. Sandwich & chips, burger & fries, coney & soup. It's about 550-650 in calories to include a glass of beverage. I can even have a bowl of peach cobbler for that. But......the buttered biscuit is out along with it's 2000 calories. Omelets can get pretty gamy in calories too. A personal pizza is forever in the 550-650 range along with a hard shell taco.

OK, you folks are just all way too healthy for me. For an afternoon pick me up I'm all over a cup of tea (Earl Grey if I need the caffeine hit, something herbal if not), and whatever cookie, slab of cake, brownie, bag of M&M's or Mini Eggs I can find. I frequently grump around until I find something yummy hidden in the back of a cupboard. LOL. Afternoon is usually when I get hit with the urge to bake so often it will be something still warm and gooey from the oven with my cuppa.

Pardon me, JoAnn, but when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was of an old song from the 70's, titled Afternoon Delight. ;)

Now, back to your question...3:30 is beer-thirty for me. DH waits an hour or so longer, and has his Captain Morgan's. Actually, lately it's been Sailer Jerry's.
If I have a snack to go with, it's generally low-fat popcorn. When Kim has popcorn, it's super-buttery, ultra-cheesy, with extra Pops-Rite popcorn salt.

Actually, the Pops-Rite is good stuff. It sure makes my low-fat popcorn taste better, and it has no calories.

Constance said:
Pardon me, JoAnn, but when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was of an old song from the 70's, titled Afternoon Delight. ;)

Now, back to your question...3:30 is beer-thirty for me. DH waits an hour or so longer, and has his Captain Morgan's. Actually, lately it's been Sailer Jerry's.
If I have a snack to go with, it's generally low-fat popcorn. When Kim has popcorn, it's super-buttery, ultra-cheesy, with extra Pops-Rite popcorn salt.

Actually, the Pops-Rite is good stuff. It sure makes my low-fat popcorn taste better, and it has no calories.

I LOVE popcorn. I have never heard of Pops-Rite popcorn salt. I will have to get me some. Thanks. And about the title of the thread, I see what you mean.:LOL:

When I'm at work, I run downstairs to the Starbux in the lobby and get a Tazo Awake tea and sometimes a slice of their lemon pound cake. I generally need the tea to wake up and then I crave something sweet to have with it.

Back
Top Bottom