How to preserve Fresh Lemon Juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
About 5 weeks ago, a friend gave me a large bag of Meyer lamons. Since I couldn't use them all, I juiced quite a few and the juice has been in my refrigerator since. I do use it in recipes calling for lemon juice and in salad dressings.

How long do you think it'll keep? I've got about a quart of it left.

Why not put it in ice cube trays and freeze it--then pop them out into a plastic bag. Or in small jars and freeze. You really don't want to take a chance on losing something as good as Meyer lemon juice.
To use some of it up, make lemon curd, lemon meringue pie, lemon squares. It is SO good for more than just "pedestrian" use!!

I can only pray that you have zested all of them and froze that also. Meyer lemons are wonderful. Anytime you get any and don't know what to do with them call me and I will be only to glad to take them off your hands. I also freeze my juice in ice cube trays and then take them out and pop them into a baggie and refreeze.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks all. I'll put the juice in the freezer in trays as suggested. Sadly, I did not keep the zest.
I will next time.

Remember lots of lemons make Lemoncello. And it can be frozen.

:) I also have about a quart of Meyers Lemon juice that I juiced and squeezed in Texas and dragged back home.Wish I would have saved zest.
I also dont quite know what to do with it I want it to be something special.

For a future reference, this thread carries a lot of ideas for lemon recipes.

As others suggested, next time do please save and freeze the lemon zest, you can either grind it or just simply peel it and put it in a freezer bag, and buzz it in a blender or food processor when you take it out later on, too.

lyndalou said:
Thanks all. I'll put the juice in the freezer in trays as suggested. Sadly, I did not keep the zest.
I will next time.
\

lyndalou! thats how i freeze my lemon juice too,in ice trays.Its very convenient this way.just use a cube or 2 everytime u wanna make fresh lemonade,or for salad dressing or any other thing.

jpmcgrew said:
:) I also have about a quart of Meyers Lemon juice that I juiced and squeezed in Texas and dragged back home.Wish I would have saved zest.
I also dont quite know what to do with it I want it to be something special.

jpmcgrew, if you can p/u an extra lemon or two for zesting, how about lemon/herb chicken, risotto or lemon souffle for a special treat?

Meyer Lemon Souffle

Here are some more ideas

Cooking with Amy: A Food Blog: All about Meyer Lemons

Last edited by a moderator:
jpmcgrew said:
:) cjs!Great idea a lemon curd tart for Easter.

Actually the Easter I had my surfeit of Meyer lemons I put lemon curd in meringue shells and topped with a bit of strawberries. It was beautiful and delicious.

As for that lemon souffle above, I WANT the dishes plus the souffle!! Beautiful.

Oh my, that lemon souffle has me drooling.... what a perfect Easter dessert! (course it wouldn't hurt with a little lemon curd drizzled.... :) )

:) Or if you have whole lemons you can make Moroccan preserved lemons have not had them yet but I bet they are good no canning or anything complicated involved but thats all I know.How do they taste I wonder?

jpmcgrew said:
:) Or if you have whole lemons you can make Moroccan preserved lemons have not had them yet but I bet they are good no canning or anything complicated involved but thats all I know.How do they taste I wonder?

jpm, that was the other recipe that caught my eye in the link to the blog. They do look yummy. Wonder if anyone has tried this method, as a lemon relish to accompany bbq, etc. Thinking out loud, curious as to how tangelos or mandarin oranges would work:

Moroccan Preserved Lemons - 101 Cookbooks

I was looking thru my Sunset magazine today and came across a recipe for Meyer Lemon Crab Salad served on a bed of watercress - wanted to pass it along:

Meyer Lemon-Crab Salad Recipe - Shellfish - Sunset

Last edited:
You can make special salads to eat and use lemons on them. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom