Fresh asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
We've been having warm temps, and finally got a good rain this weekend. DH checked the asparagus bed, and he says the new little tips are starting to poke their noses out of the ground. Hopefully, we'll be having fresh asparagus by the weekend!
What's your favorite way to prepare fresh asparagus?

Favorite...geez, that's tough!

I think grilled w/evoo infused with garlic is my favorite. I could eat it every single day.

I prefer steamed...crisp tender with butter and a hint of lemon. I just like the simple taste of the Asparagus...not much to mask it's flavor

I had it Grilled with EVOO and S&P wrapped in bacon tonight.... You could say that the whole meal was a hit.... check the whats for dinner 3-20 thread for the whole menu.... it was great, it is always fun to cook for people that like the food.

I love it grilled. I've used a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette as a marinade, or just a little EVOO, and S&P to taste.

I also have a taste for asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto.

Asparagus risotto, said without hesitation. Serve the tips separately on top so that at least they don't get boiled to a mash in with the rice. Hope this doesn't seem like a waste of good asparagus to you all - it's one of my all-time favourite dishes.

I like to steam it, and serve with salad, and a dressing.

I use different dressings, but here is one of them.
Juice of one orange
Juice of half a lemon
A small spoonful of sugar or honey
A few large spoonfuls, of olive oil
Black peppercorns
Small spoonful of salt.
Fresh herbs

Put everything in the food processor and whiz.

Mel:)

grilled or roasted, evoo, garlic and herbs de Provence. I prefer the large thinck spears, with the stalked pealed. ALso just roast in evoo and serve with dipping sauces (very Roman)

Yummy! Its about that time around here too. We have a town nearby that used to produce this wonderful veggie so it grows wild.

I love it grilled or roasted with EVOO, S & P and sometimes Lemon too.

I like to sautee the asparagus briefly in a bit of EVOO or butter, S&P and a hint of garlic (I put garlic in just about everything), then squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top, reduce the heat, and let steam until tender.

By the way, after picking, I store asparagus in a glass of water (like a bouquet) in the fridge. If it's store bought, I cut a little off the ends first, so it will "drink" the water.

Snoop Puss said:
Asparagus risotto, said without hesitation. Serve the tips separately on top so that at least they don't get boiled to a mash in with the rice. Hope this doesn't seem like a waste of good asparagus to you all - it's one of my all-time favourite dishes.

That's one of my all-time favorite asparagus dishes as well, Snoop (with salmon on the side). Or, a cold asparagus salad with sliced tomatoes on a bed of greens & vinaigrette dressing with a little lemon zest sprinkled over the top.

Roasted, grilled, blanched or stir-fried - I like 'em all.

I have 2 favorite ways of enjoying asparagus - cooked in a large skillet in a small amount of water, drained, & topped with hollandaise sauce, & the following recipe:

Chicken Asparagus with Oyster/Black Bean Sauce
2 boneless skinless chicken breast pieces (about a pound or so), sliced & cut into bitesized pieces
1 bunch fresh asparagus (about a pound or so), tough ends trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
2 stalks of Bok Choy, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
2" piece of fresh Ginger, peeled & minced
3 large or 6 small cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
3 tablespoons Chinese salted/preserved/fermented black beans
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon oriental chile paste/sauce
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed & quartered
3 tablespoons or so Peanut or vegetable oil for stirfrying
Cooked Jasmine Rice for serving.

Soak beans in hot tap water to cover & let sit for 15 minutes. Drain beans, add garlic, & mash together with a fork to make a rough paste. Add sherry, oyster sauce, & chile paste & stir.
Bring a pot of water large enough to hold asparagus pieces to a boil & add all asparagus pieces except for the tips. Blanch for 2 minutes, then add tips & blanch for another minute. Drain.
Make rice according to package directions.
Heat wok (or large frying/saute pan) until drop of water sizzles. Add oil & swirl.
Add Bok Choy & ginger & stirfry for 1 minute. Add chicken pieces & continue stirfrying until chicken is just about cooked thru. Add mushrooms & stirfry for another minute. Add blanched asparagus & bean paste mixture & stir for another minute. (If there isn't enough moisture in the pan, you can add a splash or 2 of water or chicken broth.)
Serve over Jasmine Rice.

What is EVOO?
So many people are mentioning it, in this thread, and I have never heard, of it?

Mel

Mel, EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.

That first asparagus poking its head up from the bed is delicious picked and eaten raw as you stand there, that is my very favourite thing to eat. I miss having an asparagus bed for that first crisp, fresh and subtle taste. I also like lightly steamed (i.e. just oit, barely cooked) asparagus dipped in a soft boiled egg instead of soldiers. Or gently pan warmed in a tiny knob of butter and eaten with the butter drizzling down your hands.

Any way at all and I am not complaining.

Thanks, for the translation Lulu.:)

Now, I am wanting some asparagus. I hope I can find maybe a big box, of it, at the Turkish markets, this weekend. They sell things in season, at a fantastic price, if one buys a whole box(big).

Mel

Snoop Puss said:

Risotto al' asparagi (asparagus) is wonderful... I usually cut off the tip, cook separately and then at the end toss them with rest of the risotto.

I like my asparagus with eggs, like frittata or quiche type savoury tart.

sauteed in a pan with plenty butter, I can`t wait for 2 year time when I can start picking my own asparagus, I started them off from seed nearly 3 years ago, even when you plant the crowns you have to wait 3 years before you pick them, from seed you can another 2 years to that!

I`m growing Martha Washington asaparagus, I hope it`s worth the wait! :)

Back
Top Bottom