1875 Jug Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Hubby & I did an estate sale for his great aunt today & as we were going through things last night, getting it all set up, hubby ran across this beautiful jug. It is dated 1875 & around that it says EX-OPTIMO. On the bottom it says Price T Aristol in an intented oval. It's rather small as you can tell in the pics. Any ideas what it could have been used for? Hubby said maybe moonshine, I agree somewhat, but due to it's size, I'd be more likely to say something like cane syrup. Any ideas on what it could be worth? Not that I really care because I'd keep it even it was only worth a penny. Sorry about the pics, I can't get our digital camera to work so I'm stuck withthe webcam.

Attachments

• 185947.jpg
    185947.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 190001.jpg
    190001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 190055.jpg
    190055.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 190134.jpg
    190134.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 190151.jpg
    190151.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 106
I'd say it is more likely a syrup jug since it has a pour spout. A moonshine jug would have a smooth neck so a cork could form a tight seal. Don't want to waste any good squeezins', ya know.:LOL:

Can't give you any value. I have no clue. However, you do have some information to use as clues: Ex-Optimo and Price T Aristol. Although, a Google search of Price T Aristol brought up a European hotel. Still, with some sleuthing, and with the help of all the folks across the world who view this board, you might get a better answer than you could imagine. There are lots of eyes to help you.

I Googled both of those & got the same thing for Price T Aristol, for EX_OPTIMO everything was in a diffrent language & I was totally lost!:LOL: :rolleyes:

Thanks Katie!:)

Miss Crewsk...

I have trouble with English..So I am guessing here.

Ex-Optimo I believe is Latin

Ex = from,,,out of,,,from within

Optimo(Optimus) = the best,,,one of the best,,,aristocrat,,,noble

Ex-Optimo = From the best, Out of the Best, From Within the best.

Our english word "Optimal"(meaning "the best") comes from the latin Optimo/Optimus....maybe?:ermm:

Don't Y'all laugh...I'm tryin!!:-p

Crewsk,
I sent the pictures on to my niece (Paul's niece) in N.C. Her 91 year old mom is living there. She might know. I think it was for something like Molasses or syrup
Marge
I have a "corn squeezing " jug and there is no pour spout and a corn cob as a stopper.

Aristol is an import company among other business interest to include the Aristol Hotel in Barcelona Spain. During the 1875 time period, Navajos in the Catholic Church Records of New Mexico, were producing pottery of this type and had business dealings with Aristol.

Last edited:
I just talked to my niece in North Carolina..They have no idea other than what was said on here.
Did you keep the jug?
The one I have came out of one of the out buildings where the Preacher lived...Paul's folks bought the old house while he was in the Navy. He found the jug many, many years later. His mother was speechless to think that it was found in the preachers house....LOL
Marge

I can tell from the shape of the vessel, that it was designed to hold some type of non-solid form of subtance. It was made out of a clay-like substance too. Furthermore, if you put you lips on the rip JUST the right way, it makes a hollow, low frequency tone.
Alas if you REALLLLY want to know, then go here: :rolleyes: Antique Bottle Collector's Haven
(do I get a finders fee?? :) )

Thanks Marge! I did keep the jug, I'm just trying to find a place to put it & in my house that's a chore initself!:rolleyes: :LOL:

Thanks Sush! I searched that site high & low & still couldn't find one like it. I wonder if the pour spout on the jug will give it a diffrent tone? I'll have to try it later when everyone is awake.

I tried to search Crewsk but no luck. Do you have an antique dealer around and maybe they know. I have a similar one but no markings on the bottom of mine. Mine has a cork in the spout. I keep mine on top of the refrigerator with other decorative items. I picked mine up in MI when visiting my brothers about 3 years ago at a thrift store we just happened to stumble into.

Uncle Bob, I have no idea, I'm guessing that it's about 2 quarts.

I was wrong about the wording on the bottom of the jug, it says Price T Bristol. I was looking at it in very poor light, sorry!

crewsk said:
Uncle Bob, I have no idea, I'm guessing that it's about 2 quarts.

I was wrong about the wording on the bottom of the jug, it says Price T Bristol. I was looking at it in very poor light, sorry!

Miss Crewsk..

Ah haa! Now that takes us to another level of research. I "think" these folks made pottery up until 1940. So your jug is at least that old. (67 years)

Would you mind filling it with water and pouring it out to measure?? It could prove valuable.

Uncle Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom