How to get harder, crumbly texture on outside of poundcake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
When I make a poundcake (oh trust me, it's been years as baking and I don't get along) it comes out fairly smooth on the outside. I have a friend who makes a poundcake and the outside has this wonderful crumbly, crisp outside that cracks. How is that achieved?

Likely she bakes at a higher temp for a shorter time than you do kitchenelf. Can you ask for her recipe as a comparison to yours? Thats my best guess though.

#1 My blueberry pound cake requires that you use a well greased bundt pan that is coated with sugar.

#2 A light pound cake that I use recommends that you only mix until throughly blended.

(#2 I serve this with fresh peach slices instead of the traditional strawberries ... so good)

:) :) I think I found it I was looking for a rich pound cake recipe using sour cream to make a version of Grand Marnier Cake.In the Joy of Cooking 1997 edition there is a recipe called Sour Cream Pound Cake Cockaigne
It descripes the cake a plain cake with a nuance of sour cream and a spectacular crackly brown top.
I dont think Im allowed to post recipe but if you get have the book or can get a hold of it its on page 941

I would be forever thankful if you would PM me with it? If you don't want to do that I'll find it at the library or something!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elf, could you forward that PM to me please? I've been looking for the same thing! (I'll even bake you one if yours doesn't turn out!:LOL: ;) )

Caan anyone tell me what cockaigne is in culinary terms? I live in the UK and have never heard of it.:rolleyes:

csalt - if you are referring to jpmcgrew's previous post about "Sour Cream Pound Cake Cockaigne" - in the book Joy of Cooking the word Cockaigne was used to denote their favorite recipe for something. It is mentioned/defined in the Forward of the book.

Michael in FtW said:
csalt - if you are referring to jpmcgrew's previous post about "Sour Cream Pound Cake Cockaigne" - in the book Joy of Cooking the word Cockaigne was used to denote their favorite recipe for something. It is mentioned/defined in the Forward of the book.

I'll have a look in the library to see if it's there. I don't want to buy any more recipe books:) Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom