New car Jacking Scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
I received this today and thought it might be useful to know:

BEWARE OF PAPER IN THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE

NEW WAY TO DO CAR JACKINGS

Heads up everyone! You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.

You start the engine and shift into Reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the
car jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car
and take off.
They practically mow you down as they speed
off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS

NOW BEING USED....

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away.
Remove the paper later.

While it may be a hoax, it is still not a bad habit to get into. Some unscrupulous person may just read this hoax and think that he/she will use it. You never do know.

we`ve got a whole glove compartment in our car full of those bits of paper:mad:

only in the UK they put them on the Front Window under the wiper and demand Money:angel:

There are many such internet hoaxs like this (hijacking cars, putting sugar in the gas tank etc. etc.)that pop up from time to time. Yet from them a valuable lesson can be gleaned. BE CAREFUL. Just as often there is news of real life carjackings, kidnappings, etc.etc. that do occur on a daily basis.

In my area I usually do not leave home alone. It is not uncommon for Horace Smith and Dan Wesson to Accompany me. If they are busy then maybe John Browning or Sam Colt will travel with me. I have many other friends that sometimes go with me on a as needed basis.

Each time one of these scenarios comes up I go over it with the ladies in my life. The bottom line. You can't be to careful!! We live in a "real world"

So be careful everyone!

Uncle Bob said:
Each time one of these scenarios comes up I go over it with the ladies in my life. The bottom line. You can't be to careful!! We live in a "real world"
I do the same thing. The very first thing I did when I read this post was send it to DW. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant. It is the lesson you can learn from it that is important.

When police departments take the time to warn citizens that this is a hoax then IMO people should know that it is. Especially when it claims that it is actually happening when there is no evidence that it is.

NOW BEING USED....

StirBlue said:
I received this today and thought it might be useful to know:

BEWARE OF PAPER IN THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE

NEW WAY TO DO CAR JACKINGS

Heads up everyone! You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.

You start the engine and shift into Reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the

car jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car
and take off.
They practically mow you down as they speed
off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

NOW BEING USED....

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away.

Remove the paper later.

Thanks for the heads up, Stir. However, there's a whole lot of DRAMA here & sounds more like a scare tactic, imo i.e. 'they practically mow you down, etc.' If it helps someone to be more aware of what's around them, that's always a good thing. Thank you.

First, I usually park head in & approach my vehicle from the rear. Ads are usually placed under the front windshield. If I missed seeing an ad under the back or front windshield, I run my wiper (if I didn't catch it). I'm also aware (in a parking lot, mall whatever), all the other vehicles have ads under their wipers or strewn on the pavement. Again, just be aware of your surroundings.

What does concern me, is a story I saw on the news re having your purse stolen from your vehicle while pumping gas. When you pump your gas, close the vehicle door - as most women (I know I do) keep their purse on the seat, & the door is wide open. Anyone lurking around can jump in and grab your purse. Just a tip - Close your door while pumping your gas.

I always take my keys with me and lock my doors when I am getting gas. It is a habit with me, to lock the doors when ever I get out of the car and it the first thing I do when I get back in. You never know who is watching.

JoAnn L. said:
I always take my keys with me and lock my doors when I am getting gas. It is a habit with me, to lock the doors when ever I get out of the car and it the first thing I do when I get back in. You never know who is watching.

I agree JoAnn. The segment on the news made me think twice. I also keep my purse on the floor rather than the seat.

One time I was watching the news from England, and they caught this on film. A car had come up to a stop sign and from the back, this motor scooter came up to the side door and before you knew it the guy on the scooter opened the side door and took the purse right off of the ladies lap. He slammed the door and turned around and was gone. My gosh, it was so quick. The poor lady just sat there in shock. It just made me sick to see this.

Thanks for sharing - I have Lojack in my new car and also a kill switch. If someone tried to take my car it would only drive a very short way before the motor would turn off.

I think I will get that on my next new car as well..(Lojack) It is really neat. Then maybe you can just add it on an existing car?..I dunno. Oh Well, I am more worried about my ladies than the car. I can buy another car. Know what I mean? Or rather the insurance company can buy another.

YT2095 said:
we`ve got a whole glove compartment in our car full of those bits of paper:mad:

only in the UK they put them on the Front Window under the wiper and demand Money:angel:

Have you got a glove compartment stuffed with money too?:LOL: where was it you said you lived? :ROFLMAO:

JoAnn L. said:
One time I was watching the news from England, and they caught this on film. A car had come up to a stop sign and from the back, this motor scooter came up to the side door and before you knew it the guy on the scooter opened the side door and took the purse right off of the ladies lap. He slammed the door and turned around and was gone. My gosh, it was so quick. The poor lady just sat there in shock. It just made me sick to see this.

Unfortunately that does happen, especially in London. It's not a good idea to have handbags or watches etc in view. Or mobile phones either.

Some months back, our daughter's home was broken into during the night while she and her daughter were asleep upstairs. The burglars stole her handbag, with car keys in it, ( it was on the kitchen table) then drove away in her car!
I was just soooo relieved that our daughter didn't hear them and go downstairs. That just doesn't bear thinking about!:ermm: :ohmy:

Uncle Bob said:
In my area I usually do not leave home alone. It is not uncommon for Horace Smith and Dan Wesson to Accompany me. If they are busy then maybe John Browning or Sam Colt will travel with me. I have many other friends that sometimes go with me on a as needed basis.

Gotta love it!

I always make a habit of observing my surroundings. Especially when I'm out using my metal detector. Here I am, with a piece of expensive electronics in my hand, who knows what kind of goodies in my pouch, and I'm wearing big clunky earphones that partially mask out the surrounding noises. If I'm in a questionable area, I've been known to uncover one ear to listen to the surrounding noises.

I keep my vehicle locked. Just on the out chance that someone's picked the lock and is waiting inside, I like to look in the back seat before I get in.

If, for any reason, you have trouble inserting your door key into the door to unlock it, immediately look around to see if someone is sneaking up on you. A toothpick, jammed into the lock and snapped off, makes a wonderful distraction.

Biggest burglar site in our otherwise SAFE suburb is at the neighborhood swimming pools especially at swim meets. Many people leave purses, wallets, cell phones, etc. in plain view not realizing or imagining that thieves would be targeting them. Some of the burglaries have been to owners who have admitted to leaving their cars unlocked during the competitions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom