Desiccants for shipping candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tramtra

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new to the forum and hope you can help me! I make home-made peanut brittle and that type of hard candy is hydrographic (???) meaning it absorbs moisture from the air, and as it does, it turns STICKY. I want to sell my candy this year at the farmer's market, but I'm concerned about it turning sticky (even though I'm sealing it in a bag). The best solution I can come up with is to put one of those DO NOT EAT dessiccant packs in the bag of brittle, but I can't find anything on the internet about thier use with edible products.
  1. Is it safe? (I did find some candy and cookie companies on the internet that ship their products with them in the packaging, but I can't find something definite that says they are safe to have around food.)
  2. Where do i buy them?? I want to make sure they are printed with DO NOT EAT. (I buy a lot of shoes, but not enough to collect enough of those little packs from the boxes.....:-p ) I have searched the internet and can find some sites selling dessiccant packs, but they seem very "industrially" oriented--nothing that seems geared to food.
  3. Does anyone have any experience using them with food/candy?
Thank you so much for your expert advice!!!!!!

Calcium Chloride or anhydrous Magnesium Sulphate (epsom salts) are both very good desicants (and used in the Lab), you would come to no harm if you ate some.

several T spoons of MgSO4 is an age old remedy still in use today for constipation, although you`de need to eat quite a few packets! to get that effect :)

the existing ones you speak of are Sodium Silicate, although harmless in tiny amounts, it wouldn`t do you much good to eat a packet of it.

ew ew ew!!!! I Just had another Idea for you :)
how about Coating the brittle? something like Carnuba wax (or however you spell it).

Last edited:
Why don't you vacuum pack it, using one of those FoodSaver machines? No air, no sticky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom