Dog Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, I don't see it here, but I might be missing something. Does anyone know of a web site that has the actualy brand names and types of contaminated dog food? Once upon a time, many years ago, my husband asked me what we would do if we moved to Slovenia, a country that at that time did not have much readily available dog food. I told him I'd make up batches of rice cooked in stock, and chop up chicken in it. My dogs have always loved fruit and veggies as well, so maybe some carrots too. But I like the convenience of the dry stuff (not to mention that it makes her geriatric "mistakes" easier to clean). But here we are paying premium prices for premium brands of better dog food, just to find out that it is no better than Wal-Mart when it comes to this. HELP!

do a search on this site for Rat Poison.
it will be the thread Title, I think the data required is in there.

I could be wrong, but it`s worth a look anyway, failing that, I`ll see what I can dig up on one of my Chem sites for ya :)

just in case, I have these from my chem site:

ABC News: Pet Food Maker to Take Financial Responsibility for Pet Deaths From Poisoning

a post from there "This story (NY Times, registration needed, sorry)
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-petfood-recall-menufoods.html

says that the company who made the pet food has not figured out how it became contaminated, but this isn't stopping them from continuing production, "business as usual" according to the company president."

that`s all I have at the moment.

Breaking news - I just read this on the My Fox Colorado website:

"Nestle Purina PetCare Company is recalling all sizes and varieties of its Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.

Purina says a limited amount of the food contains a wheat gluten from

Last edited:
sorry...i can't get my cut/paste to work correctly.

Purina is recalling all sizes and varieties of Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy with specific date codes.

Hills Prescription diet m/d feline dry food also included the tainted wheat gluten.

Claire said:
But here we are paying premium prices for premium brands of better dog food, just to find out that it is no better than Wal-Mart when it comes to this. HELP!

Just to clarify, there were no "premium" brands of pet food on the list of recalled foods. There were however some well marketed foods that people may think are premium. One only needs to dissect the ingredients label.

And I don't think I posted this news on this forum, the link is on another pc, but Iams and Eukanuba were just "called out" by the FDA for continuing to put a substance in their dry diet foods NOT approved for use in pet foods. Something to do with the metabolism. The substance is approved for use in pig food and Proctor & Gamble did ask the government to extend its useage to their pet food a while back, but were turned down.
Didn't stop them from continuing on though.
They have since told the FDA they will stop using it....

:) YT they are also finding melamine in the food.They are also saying cats are having more problems than dogs because they are more sensitive to the bad stuff.

Back
Top Bottom