Coconut Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I didn't come up with this one entirely on my own. The idea for it struck me as I remembered how much I enjoy coconut shrimp.

Suprizingly, chicken and shrimp can be substituted in a great many recipes, along with pork. So for this recipe, I made a marinade of 1 whole, fresh pineapple, skined, cored and cut into chunks, (This was not pineapple from a can. I used fresh so as to tenderize the chicken while it marinated), 1 chopped onion, 3 tbs. soy sauce, 3/4 cups of water, and 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic. I then boned four chicken breasts and placed them into a freezer bag with the marinade and let sit in the fridge overnight.

To cook, I simply cut the boneless chicken breasts into 1/2 inch cubes. I then dredged them in a simple batter made from 1 cup water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 cup all purpose flour.

The breading was made from 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 cup shredded cocolnut. After dredging the chicken cubes in the batter, I rolled them in hte panko/cocnut mixture. I then fried them in hot oil for about two minutes per side. I served them with steamed zuchini and beats.

From the marinade, I made pineapple sweet & sour sauce. It came out delicious.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the recipe. I like the part for the breading. Your sides were unique. Since I started making sweet & sour sauce, nothing on the shelf taste as good.

I regularly share my ideas with others, including one of our local restaurants. To my suprise, coconut chicken was something they were familiar with. But my presentation was unique.

There are several proffesional chefs at this particualr restaurant. They really liked the idea of the teryaki marinade using fresh pineapple. I didn't get the chance to tell them that by cubing the marinated chicken breast, it would really allow them to speed up the frying process compared to frying breast halves. The breaded cubes take literally 4 to 5 minutes total to cook. Breasts take much longer. In addition, by simply adding all of the cubes to the batter, and then straining through a wire seive, the chicken cubes can then be easily breaded as a batch by simply dumping into a rotating hopper containing the panko/coconut mixture. This would then be dumped onto a great and lightly shaken to remove the excess breadcrumbs. Then, into the deep fryer. What could be faster?:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom