Le Creuset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babs

Assistant Cook
I'm a big fan of Le creuset pots/dutch ovens. How many should one own, and what sizes? It's just my husband & myself, and occasionally we entertain.

Red, if you can get to Clark's Village in Street next to Glastonbury there is a discount Le Creuset shop. There is a Bus from Bristol to Glastonbury/Street, and its not a long walk from anywhere in those two villages....I'm not sure what the bus number is....276? Something like that...something 76 I think...anyway....they have discounts and often have some of the haarder to get hold of colours too ;)

If you have other good cookware, you don't need a lot of LeC. Most people use them for stews and pot roasts, chilis, and other slow cooked dishes. I use a 7.25 quart French oven for this type of cooking. It is the perfect size for a pot roast or a batch of chili.

I have several, and good copper cookware too. I have too much but that's just me. I would guess a medium and a large dutch oven, and a braiser would be sufficient for most duties. Make one round and one oval so you can hold most things with a minimum of pots.

I have one pot (7.5 I think) that I use for everything Andy mentioned. I have a double burner grill pan on my wish list though.

We have two Staub oval dutch ovens that we love. Our one and only LC pan is this wide and shallow 6.75-quart dutch oven sometimes called a risotto pan. We don't use it for risotto but for braising, and the wider dimension gives you more room for browning first. It's a very versatile size, and we love it.

Robo410 said:
I have too much but that's just me.

Heh heh, me too, Robo410! My husband thinks I am mental! I have so many pieces of LC cast iron that I have to spread it all around the kitchen for fear the weight of all that CI in one place will make the floor cave in:LOL: ! I have a pretty fair amount of their stoneware,too...thank God for the LC outlet!

I use their 7.25 quart round French oven constantly. I also have a 9 quart and a 4 1/2 quart. I recommend the 7.25 because it's the most versatile, as far as quantities go.

We have two and they are used so often, I never put them away. It's just Buck and me, but we use them for so many things. Both are oval Dutch ovens. I opted for oval because I could use them for cooking whole hams and/or whole poultry. Soups, stews, etc. don't care what the shape of the vessel is.

The smaller one is a 7-quart. The larger one is 9-quarts. Love them both and they are a fine addition to our old-fashioned cast-iron cookware we already had.

I'm someone who watches Food Network & NEED ALL the tools I see them using. To let you know, I have a 4 &3/4, and a 2 1/2( I think). Love the larger of the 2 for Marinara sauce.>>>But, I picked up a 6 & 3/4th($129 @ Home Goods), & a 9 & 1/2 @ Le Creuset outlet for ($180,... .second).....Think the 91/2 is TOO Big?.........Love all of your input!!:chef:

babs said:
I'9 & 1/2 @ Le Creuset outlet for ($180,... .second).....Think the 91/2 is TOO Big?.........Love all of your input!!:chef:

I got my big mama at the outlet, too. It was about $150, so naturally I had to have it!

It's not too big if you entertain or like to make big batches of stuff and freeze them.

You can NEVER have too much LC! I could open my own store and no, I really don't need it all but I just love it.

If you're asking what you basically should have in LC, I'd say (1) 5 or 8 qt round French oven (depending on the amount of food you cook), and maybe (1) 9 1/2 qt oval oven. The saucepans and frypans are not really all that useful (although I have them too).

I recently ordered the 8 qt Staub with black matte interior from Amazon.com. Great price at $134. It's arriving today and I have BIG plans for that one!

M.D.

As many as you can afford, if you ask me, in every size and color possible. If I could lift them (my arms hurt) that is what i would get.

I'm saving for a tagine a two quart cocotte and a 4 quart soup pot(I love braising but we're a family of two). Now if the gubmint would just give me my money I'd get a-spending.

Finally, I recently took the plunge and got 4 pieces of LC: a Dutch oven, a skillet, a long-handled small cooking pot, and a one-burner grill pan.

So far, only the grill pan isn't getting a work out. What would you suggest? Thanks!

My wife got me a set, I use the 7qt and 5.5qt a lot. I also have a 14in. baking disk that is great. I think two would do nicely.

later

the tagine is really fun to use. Needs very little liquid, gives you great big flavors and looks kewl on the stove top.

Chopstix, I'd say in the winter time you'll find more use for the grill. When it is cold outside you will be use it inside. Then, of course I am not suree about your whether.

Again, all I can say i am envy you folks, I can't even lift my 9" cast iron pan anymore, and even non-stick 12" pan is too heavy for me now. :(

Thanks CharlieD. By the way, it's never cold outside where I am :) There's basically just two seasons here -- wet and dry season. And during both seasons, it's warm. (I actually love the weather here.)

I hear you about the heaviness of the cast iron. I think I got tennis elbow from lifting my LC pieces!

Back
Top Bottom