Cooking Biscuits, Breads, Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I want to start expanding my collection of cast iron cookware. Presently, I have a 12" dutch oven and a 10" skillet.

I've been thinking about getting a cast iron muffin pan and maybe a cornbread pan. But I'm confused about how to use these items. I know these breads can all be baked in the dutch, but if I'm using the dutch for my main course, how do I bake with these without an oven? Don't you need top heat to get the tops of the muffins/breads baked properly? You don't just have the open pans sit on top of the coals, do you? Does it mean that I can't have muffins or corn bread with my meal if I'm using my dutch for something else?

And of course, I'm not allowing for using the oven in the kitchen. What fun would that be? :rolleyes:

You do have a few options. First of all, you could bake your bread using a cardboard box oven. Scouts use this method all the time, and it works very well. Just google the term and you should find lots of information on how to make one. Secondly, if you have a cast iron lid for your 10" skillet, you could bake your cornbread in it. You would do it just as you would with a Dutch oven, by elevating the skillet over the coals and placing coals on the lid. Finally, why not just buy a second oven? That way you will have one for your main dish, and the second one for baking bread, a side dish or dessert.

Dutchess said:
Finally, why not just buy a second oven? That way you will have one for your main dish, and the second one for baking bread, a side dish or dessert.

Oooooo, I like that idea! :brows:

It gives me the support I need to get more cast iron! ;)

In all honesty, I am planning on getting a couple more dutch ovens. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about baking in these specialty pans.

Thanks. :)

Golfgar4 said:
Oooooo, I like that idea! :brows:
It gives me the support I need to get more cast iron! ;)

I understand exactly! I'm up to a dozen camp Dutch ovens, ranging in size from 5" to 14", and have lost track of the number of other cast iron pieces I have. Fortunately, my DH shares my enthusiam. :)

If you come up with some other creative ways to use your specialty pans, I hope you'll come back and let us know.

Dutchess said:
Finally, why not just buy a second oven? That way you will have one for your main dish, and the second one for baking bread, a side dish or dessert.

Yup, I took your advice and bought a 10" 6 quart Camp Chef pre-seasoned dutch oven yesterday. I got it for $23.00 at a Big5 Sporting Goods store in Flagstaff, AZ.

This will be used very soon once we get to Yellowstone. Already have some good plans for it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom