ISO Fruit Basket Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
I keep a fresh fruit basket on the counter filled with apples, oranges & bananas. I would like to add something to make it more appealing. I know that putting sugary treats or chips & preztels is not the way to go and obviously not nuts. The fruit is usually eaten as is so I may leave it alone in the one basket and have another basket with smaller fruit like cherries, strawberries, grapes, and blue berries. It seems as though I am overlooking something else that I need to put in the basket so maybe you can help me. These are not gift baskets but fresh fruit snacks.

Is this for in your home or work or ... ? Target group - kids? adults? all the above?

Perhaps dried fruit like apple chips or apricots or maybe fruit leather? If you can do them yourself, banana chips are always a hit here (I say do yourself only if you are concerned about the amount of fat you get in the store bought ones).

I don't tend to leave things like grapes or small berries out just because I don't personally like them warm and they do tend to dry out a bit fast it seems. But if you are eating them quickly, I think your idea sounds good too.

What about string cheese? We eat alot of cheese sticks with our apples and pears ... and can I ask why not nuts? Almonds and bananas - yum!

You might add pears, lemons and limes. I know the last two aren't for snacking, but you probably use them in cooking.

If you are thinking of something different, here's an idea. Buy a block of Oasis (wettable floral foam) and few stems of lemon leaves your florist. Soak the Oasis, drain, cut to fit your bowl and cover with foil. Stick a few branches of greenery into the moist foam, then arrange your fruit among the branches. You could also use boxwood or evergreen, if you have something growing on your property you can clip.
Of course, this arrangement won't last long if you have kids digging around in it.

Last edited:
This is just a basket that I keep on my kitchen counter at home for parents & children. I had forgotten about pears and that would work. Some seasonal greenery would like nice too.
I was afraid that the berry basket might not hold up to room temperature. I could put it in a glass candy dish and set it out occasionally like at breakfast or the afternoon rush hour.
Yes, they do love kiwi too. Oh my gosh, I have so many new ideas already. Thanks!

exactly...stuff for the counter should be things that do best at room temp (so no berries & grapes). how about variations-on-a-theme? as in, 3 very different varieties of apples, or crisp nutty asian pears next to red d'anjous, or clementines and grapefruit?

I just buy whatever is in season and hope that it's colorful. Basically that consists of oranges,tangerines, mineolas, grapefruit, kiwi, tomatoes, avocado, lemons. As for berries, I just keep them in the refrigerator, but grapes I love to eat at room temperature and do not keep them in the same fruit basket as my large fruits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom