Turning "Chipotles in Adobo Sauce" into a dry rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErgoErgun

Assistant Cook
Got a can of chipotles in Adobo sauce right here. The ingredients list says: Chipotle Peppers, Water, Tomato Puree, Vegetable Oil, Wheat Flour, Salt, Vinegar, Starch, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Spices.

Okay, let's ditch the Water, Tomato Puree, Vegetable Oil, and Vinegar since they're wet ingredients. That leaves us with Chipotle Peppers, Wheat Flour, Salt, Starch, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Spices.

If we get ground up Chipotles to simulate the Chipotle Peppers, what should we add from the others to duplicate that authentic smoky yet spicy flavor we all love in a dry rub? Any ideas?

This is the ONLY adobo sauce recipe I could find online...
[FONT=&quot]10-whole chipotle peppers (smoked, dried jalapeno peppers)
1/3-cup onion, diced
5-tbsp cider vinegar
2-cloves garlic, sliced
4-tbsp ketchup
3-cups water
¼-tsp cumin
½-tsp oregano
½-tsp salt

[/FONT]

Still ditching the wet ingredients, we could turn the garlic cloves into garlic powder and the onions into onion powder, then add the rest. My goal is to effectively get all the dry ingredients together for storage, so I can add the vinegar and oil, possibly ketchup and tomato puree, just before serving. Thanks for your help ladies and gentlemen.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Leave out the flour and starch and include the onion, garlic and spices.

Typical for the other spices for a BBQ rub would be brown sugar, cumin, cayenne, paprika, black pepper. You could also include a purchased spice mix such as Emeril's Essence, one of Paul Prudhommes' or any other one you like.

You could also mix the chipotle in adobo with the other dry spices and make a thick paste to rub onto the meat.

the vinegar...

I don't know if you can really get rid of all the wet ingrediants and get the same flavor. For example i think the vinegar is key to chipotle in adoba. I don't think it would taste the same if you got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom