Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fruit & Nuts (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   ISO What can I do with these apples? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/iso-what-can-i-do-with-these-apples-34122.html)

Angie 04-12-2007 08:43 PM

ISO What can I do with these apples?

I bought a couple of "cheap" bags of Gala apples at Aldis. The first bag was OK, but the second one wasn't so good. The apple I tried wasn't that sweet and didn't have much taste.

Is there something I can use these in? I hate to waste them but I wont eat them plain!

Katie H 04-12-2007 08:45 PM

Peel 'em, core 'em, chunk or slice 'em and put them in your crock-pot and turn them into applesauce with some sugar and cinnamon.

Angie 04-12-2007 08:57 PM

I've never heard of that method. I used to help my mom make it from scratch as a kid but never in a crock pot. Do you have a recipe?

Katie H 04-12-2007 09:01 PM

I knew you'd ask that and I've been looking for my recipe. I've posted it here somewhere. If I can't direct you to where it is, I'll repost it. Give me a few and I'll see what I can do.

lindatooo 04-12-2007 09:10 PM

That's what I'd do too but not in a crock pot - a regular pot will do just as well!

Clienta 04-13-2007 12:56 AM

I thinly slice apples & throw them in cole slaw, mixed green salad or a chicken/tuna salad for an extra crunch.

You could also buy some other fruit (blueberries or another type of apple) & mix them in a crisp, cobbler or crumble.

Or bake with cinnamon, brown sugar & butter.

kadesma 04-13-2007 02:15 AM

I somtime cut them into rings or slices, then saute with some sweet onion rings in butter with some brown sugar, addin a little oj or lemon if you like or a splash of rum. My family loves them with pork chops grilled or fried...Also leave out the onions and put the sauteed apples while still very warm over vanilla ice cream...

kadesma:smile:

Mel! 04-13-2007 03:24 AM

Hello Angie

Apple Chutney is a good thing to do, with bitter apples. In fact they make better chutney, than the sweet ones.

Cook with water, vinegar, sugar, salt, cinamon, nutmeg, ginger and a few raisins. Raisins are optional.

Mel

StirBlue 04-13-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie
I bought a couple of "cheap" bags of Gala apples at Aldis. The first bag was OK, but the second one wasn't so good. The apple I tried wasn't that sweet and didn't have much taste.

Is there something I can use these in? I hate to waste them but I wont eat them plain!

I've bought those Gala apples from Aldis too. I noticed that no one was eating them. I decided to make an apple strudel dessert with them and when I had peeled the first one, I ate a slice. Like you described, it did not have any flavor. My bag probably cost around $1 and I could not see investing my time and ingredients on these apples. >>>>Good Bye Apples>>>>Hello Landfill>>>>LOL I should have used them for compost.

Angie 04-13-2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirBlue
I've bought those Gala apples from Aldis too. I noticed that no one was eating them. I decided to make an apple strudel dessert with them and when I had peeled the first one, I ate a slice. Like you described, it did not have any flavor. My bag probably cost around $1 and I could not see investing my time and ingredients on these apples. >>>>Good Bye Apples>>>>Hello Landfill>>>>LOL I should have used them for compost.

I think I'll use them for the birds and squirrels! :lol: