New and uninformed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superchef69

Assistant Cook
New, uninformed and needing help

Just joined and hoping to find out lots about cooking in general. Cooked for family all of my life and finding a need to be a little more creative. I'm a transplanted Canadian in Australia - culture shock as well.

I inherited a couple of cast iron fry pans a few years ago. Use them all of the time. There is a build-up of lumps on the pan and some "bare patches" where the pans rust. Is there any way to clean the build-up off and also to stop the rust in the bare areas?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, you found the right place to find lots of recipes and wonderful members are here to help with any of your questions.:)

Welcome to the forum. :)

There are lots of very knowledgeable people here so you can pick up plenty of tips and cooking ideas. I haven't been here long and have already learnt heaps.

So what kind of culture shock are you experiencing? Surely Canadians and Australians aren't that different? I guess in Australia you've got great weather, great food, great people so that could be a shock. ;)

Yes, I am an Aussie!

If you are speaking of the crud that collects on the bottom and sides of the cast iron pan, you can remove that by placing the pan in a hot fire (I did mine in the fireplace) and it will burn off, but you will have to wash and reseason the pan. One of mine was a mess from years of cooking, but after a while in the fire it came out very smooth.

Superchef69

Some of us are new, some are old, some are, some where in between.

We all are uniformed and need help!!:ermm: So you will fit right in.:LOL:

Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom