What type of cooking grates are best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I'm looking at buying a new grill and some I've seen say they have porcelain enamel cooking grates and another says stainless steel cooking grates. Which is better? Will one give me better grill marks?

I am in the process of finding a purchasing a grill. Personally I am looking for an iron grate, mainly because I love my iron pans and the small grill I have been currently using has iron and it works very nicely, just really small.

I am interested to see if anyone chimes in with some first hand knowledge of cooking grates befoe I make a purchase.

Iron is the best, wether cast or bar. Needs to be thick to take and store heat to sear the food and give the marks you desire. Stainless and coated grills are not as good as a fully seasoned grill both for flavour and non sticking .

markgill said:
Iron is the best, wether cast or bar. Needs to be thick to take and store heat to sear the food and give the marks you desire. Stainless and coated grills are not as good as a fully seasoned grill both for flavour and non sticking .

+1
I have cast iron grates on my grill and love it. That's all I'll use now.

My current grill, which I just bought in the last couple of weeks, and my previous grill, which I had for 5 years, both have porcelain coated cast iron, and I like them better than both plain cast iron and stainless because the porcelain makes them extremely easy to clean, either with a brass brush in place, or if I remove them and toss them in the dishwasher.

I have had porcelain coated stamped steel and coated cast iron but not stainless. Some may be easier to clean than others but I'd bet there wouldn't be much difference in the cooking. All will give you good grill marks if the grill gets hot.

Stainless steel grates offer excellent rust resistance, they cool easily and meats have a tendencey to stick. If I had a choice I would choose cast iron. There are even porcelain ones available. Non-porcelainized cast iron does require curing in a manner similar to curing a cast iron post etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom