Pectin vs Sugar with added pectin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maris

Assistant Cook
Can someone tell me whether i can make jam using sugar that has added pectin? I can't locate just pectin where i live...i had made crab apple jelly with this and it worked fine but i am not sure whether this would work for jam...thanks for any input!!

I'm preety sure that you can and that I have....sorry I can't be more definite, but I imagine you'd be fine. :)

thanks for your feedback lulu...i will go ahead and give it a try....living here is great but sometimes not finding all the ingredients can give you a headache!!:LOL:

A lot depends on the fruit(s) you are using to make your jams, Maris. I make jams every year without any added pectin.

You might find this site of some help - the Making Jams and Jellies section of the USDA National Center for Home Food Preservation. It has several recipes for jams and jellies that do not require pectin - just plain sugar.

If you are using sugar with powdered pectin already added to it ... you might want to check with the producer to see if they have any recipes for using their product.

Let us know what you are trying to make and maybe we can help you find a recipe.

Thanks Michael for the input and web link....i want to make strawberry jam (for the first time) but was not sure of a) if you can without adding pectin b) if the sugar with added pectin would add too much pectin...

Maris - thanks for asking a question that taught me something new! :chef:

I have never seen nor heard of "sugar with pectin" ... aka: jelling sugar. But it sounds interesting. From what little I was able to find out about it - it is a combination of sugar, pectin and citric acid blended "in the correct proportions" for a 40% fruit/60% sugar ratio ... or roughly for each 1 cup of fruit and juice you need 1.5 cups jelling sugar.

So, did you make your jelly something like this: First you processed your fruit in some manner to extract the juice and strained it ... the you brought the juice to a boil, added the sugar, stirred to dissolve it and brought it back to a boil for 1 minute - then ladled into sterile jars?

If so - using the jelling sugar - I would assume you could get good results making strawberry jam in a similar fashion. Mash the strawberries and measure ... put in a pot and bring to a boil stirring almost constantly, add the jelling sugar (1.5 cups per each 1 cup strawberries and juice), bring back to a boil and boil for 1 minute - then remove from the heat and ladel into your steralized jars.

Like I said - I've never seen this stuff ... I'm just trying to extrapolate a reasonable solution between what I could find on jelling sugar and the process using fruit, sugar, acid and powdered pectin.

I tend to go the route that doesn't use powdered or liquid pectins as much as possible ... it uses less sugar (not as sweet but more natural fruit flavor) but does take a lot more time (20-30 minutes cooking time) and effort- and a good candy thermometer, and patience.

For 6 cups mashed strawberries - in a heavy bottomed non-reactive pot add 5 cups plain sugar, stir to combine well, and then allow to macerate for an hour or so. Then, bring the mixture to a boil and cook until it reaches the jelling point (8ºF above the boiling point of water in your location - if your water boils at 212ºF then that would be 220ºF) on a candy thermometer (stirring very frequently) and add 2 Tablespoons bottled or fresh squeezed lemon juice. However - I have learned from experience that the temp isn't an absolute guarantee .. sometimes it needs to cook a little more to insure it jells. So, once it reaches "temp" I start testing it for the spoon/sheet test - and when it reaches that I double check it using the Refrigerator/Freezer Test. Here are instructions for both of these. One thing missing in the "plate test" instructions is that you should put the plate in the freezer before you start cooking - you get quicker results.

As Bob Marley once said - "We're jamming, jamming - And I hope you like
jamming too!" ;)

Good morning Michael, I really appreciate the time you have given me in respect to my question. Yes, that is how I had made the crab apple jelly...and will give the strawberry jam with this sugar a try (hopefully over the weekend!) I will let you know how it turns out....

In meantime,fyi the sugar with added pectin is produced from a company in the uk called "Tate & Lyle" ...here is photo of the packaging (off their web site) Taste & Smile > Home

jam.jpg

Thanks again for your help!!

Pectin and jam

I find soft fruit jams really need a shot of pectin - I don't know if you can get hold of a product called Certo which is apple juice fortified with pectin.

I even stick a slug of Certo into marmalade - set guaranteed!

thanks dgregory for your reply (sorry about the delay in getting back to you but i was on a short holiday!!)

unfortunately, i can't get hold of certo over here so when i have a chance i will make the jam with the sugar that has added pectin

most pectin products come from citrus peels. Apples have a lot of pectin and can be added to other fruits to improve pectin contenet.

In the tropics where apples are almost always imported from the USA or other temperate countries we sometimes add bananas or guavas to our recipes to increaqs pectin content.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom