Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetables (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Please Help - Fingers burning from handling chilis (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/please-help-fingers-burning-from-handling-chilis-34387.html)

Clienta 04-20-2007 11:33 PM

Please Help - Fingers burning from handling chilis

Help! I cleaned a bunch of serrano chili's for a dish tonight, and they were unusually hot. My fingers are burning. I have been soaking them in milk, which helps temporarily, but then when I take them out they continue burning. Any suggestions? (As dictated to DH)

Andy M. 04-20-2007 11:44 PM

Try rubbing with vinegar. The heat in the peppers is an alkalai and the acidic vinegar will neutralize it.

2belucile 04-21-2007 12:47 AM

To Clienta - Once I saw this treatment with one little girl that had chewed a lot of serrano chilies: her mother rubbed her mouth and hands with a fresh mexican tortilla. If you dont have one at hand, try cornmeal mixed with a little water. Hope this help

2belucile 04-21-2007 07:05 AM

Clienta, the fresh tortilla or the mixture of boiled and cooled cornmeal paste are APPLIED or LIGHTLY PRESSED over the area, to absorb the heat of the chilies.
Next time you clean chilies, use rubber gloves to avoid the burning.

PytnPlace 04-21-2007 09:16 AM

Oh CLienta, I wish I knew the solution as this happened to me about 15 years ago and I remember is as if it was yesterday. I went to bed with a bowl of icewater and kept my hands in that bowl all night. Now I ALWAYS where gloves when I work with hot peppers. Hope you feel better soon!!

jpmcgrew 04-21-2007 12:09 PM

:smile: What ever you do do not touch your eyes or your nose it can make them sting also.

Clienta 04-21-2007 04:55 PM

Thank you all!

I usually wear gloves but couldn't find any. Big mistake! I tried vinegar, clorax cleanup, oil, milk, alcohol & ice water and I took two benadryl. I then lathered them up with lanolin & put socks on my hands so I wouldn't accidentily touch my face while sleeping. Everything seemed to give a little relief while soaking but when I went to bed my hands were still HOT! I think the benadryl helped, I fell asleep & two hours later they were slightly warm but not uncomfortable. I appreciate your replies! Don't worry I will not try this again. :smile:

StirBlue 04-21-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clienta
I usually wear gloves but couldn't find any. Big mistake! I tried vinegar, clorax cleanup, oil, milk, alcohol & ice water and I took two benadryl. I then lathered them up with lanolin & put socks on my hands so I wouldn't accidentily touch my face while sleeping. Everything seemed to give a little relief while soaking but when I went to bed my hands were still HOT! I think the benadryl helped, I fell asleep & two hours later they were slightly warm but not uncomfortable. I appreciate your replies! Don't worry I will not try this again. :smile:

The benadryl was a very good idea. Some of the other things were very dangerous. You treat this as a chemical burn. You go to the ER. Never chance anything as important as your hands.

amber 04-21-2007 09:35 PM

I cannot add more than what the others have mentioned. I was wondering if the clorox cleanup contains bleach, which may have further burned your hands? Maybe vaseline would help?

turtledove 04-21-2007 10:29 PM

Vaseline on a burn is a big no-no!!! It will hold the heat in. Sometimes a paste made of cool water and baking soda will work for this type of burn on your hands.