What's for dinner Sunday, April 22, 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caine

Washing Up
Either everyone is fasting today, or y'all decided to sleep in REALLY late!

As I stated yesterday, today is Thanksgiving in April. I am making a 12 pound frozen Butterball turkey (that I got free for buying 25 bucks worth of produce at my local supermarket, AFTER already having bought a fresh Honesuckle White turkey somewhere else, the week before Thanksgiving); giblet gravy; sausage, apple, and fennel corn bread dressing; steamed green beans and steamed corn (wth my new rice cooker and my old expandable steamer basket, I can steam two vegetables at once!), mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, freshly baked yogurt biscuits (my version of Paula Deen's cream biscuits), and for a change of pace from apple and/or pumpkin pie, I bought a Jon Donaire cranberry apple cheesecake.

Caine - sounds delightful!!! Enjoy your feast.

mr. callie is making scrambled eggs and toast right now...we haven't thought about supper yet.

I am not sure, yet. I am making a couple of casseroles for my dad to reheat next week when my mom and I are away, so I could have some of one of those. One is layered broccoli, cheese, chicken, and a cream of chicken soup mixture and the other is a layered chili, crushed fritos, cheese, and a mixture of green onion, regular onion, and green chilies.

I am also making a pan of chocolate chip bar cookies for him to have while we are away. It is hard to think of dinner because right now I am full from breakfast which was huge breakfast burrito made of leftover chili, scrambled egg, cheese, and green onion.

One of the mangoes we have bought over a week ago is not maturing as it is supposed to. I am afraid it is going to shrivel away before it matures, so I am going to make some use of it and will make a thai style fried rice. Not very sweet, a bit hard mango makes a surprisingly nice addition to it.

Then I am going to make a nice big hearty macedonia (fresh fruit salad) with another mango which has matured nicely, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi and banana. mmmmm!! One of the best guilt-free goodies you can imagine:-p

The boy is eating some chicken casserole thing he bought earlier. I had brown rice with steamed zucchini and peas, oh and 2 glasses of white wine!

an easy sunday today...brats on buns with grilled onions and whatever you'd like to go on them...potatoe salad, corn on cob and banana cream and chocolate pies..
kadesma:)

We just returned from our first camping trip of the season. Weather was fantastic! So I think we are going to go or take out a pizza. Spring break is over for us in MA so it is back to work for me tomorrow.

We ate a late lunch so supper will probably consist of cheese, crackers, and wine. We have sandwich stuff so maybe a panino too.

Nothin' fancy (as usual) but good. Made a ground beef and potato casserole, canned seasoned turnip greens w/ a little bacon fat, corn bread, radishes, olives, pickes, mild peppers rings, and corn bread. Made a dessert "Dessert Diva' suggested. Son loves it, white cake mix, make as directed except change the water to 1/2 a cup. Spread in 9x13 greased and floured pan and add any pie filling to the top and swirl in, bake 350 ' - 50 mins. My sons favorite is strawberry, then when cool and serving dust w/ powdered sugar. It is sooooo good, w/ vanilla ice cream. Sorry for such a long post !!
Barb !!

We're making my sausage and noodle casserole...good comfort food. There's some beautiful fresh asparagus sitting in glasses of water in the fridge...I may cook that up too.

This past week has been a bad one for me. I had an older horse of mine pass away last week, & this morning a very old cat of ours who'd been under treatment passed away in her sleep.

To help clear the depressive cobwebs, I took a drive to one of our local organic/gourmet shops & picked up some dry-pack/diver sea scallops for dinner. Not feeling up to anything fancy, I pulled out my cast-iron skillet & cooked/seared them for 4 minutes per side (they were BIG) in a half-&-half mixture of canola oil & butter. I then served them with a top drizzle of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce & a sprinkling of minced Italian flat-leaf parsley. Served them with a fresh mixed green salad alongside, tossed with a commercial sesame-ginger dressing.

Must have been a hit - husband said he can't wait to have scallops done this way again.

Going to try a crispy baked fish recipe out of the May 2007 issue of Southern Living magazine and make some fried onion rings from a recipe QSis posted recently. Maybe some salad, too. Probably will have some of the overnight sticky buns for dessert that PA posted. The recipe made so many, Buck and I will have to eat them for every meal so we won't have to throw any away due to spoilage.

Since it was a fantastic 82 degree SUNNY day here we made steaks out on the grill. Mmmm yummy. Some corn. And a salad on the side.

Back
Top Bottom