Washing machine not draining?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Any one got any ideas?

Its a horrid little slimline washing machine, and I note limescale has obviously been a problem so I have been putting a product for that in each wash. Its been draining reluctantly, until last night when it gave up completely: I had to hand wash DH's favourite WHITE shirt for his business trip to London tonight, NOT FUN, I don't mind handwashing but white shirts with double cuffs etc.....phew.

Any how, I've put the drainage pipe in the bath and it is draaining a little....but not much...any idea what the normal flow should be? I'm wondering if it really could be limescale in the machine AND the pipe into the wall and the tube running into the bath is at least draining, but not so regularly...a wire coathanger finds no missing socks etc.
I

it`s unlikely to be a Gravity Drain, so it`s possible that you have limescale in your Pump too.
the treatment you`ve recently started using May have released a Chunk of this material that`s causing the problem.

without a strip down and a good look, I`ve no idea what else to suggest.

Yes, I'm preety sure now its limescale (I'm peering in, unscrewing and prodding and investigating! ). I'm going to put some stuff dirctly in the outflow pipe I think.....Thanks YT!

some toilet cleaners are specifically designed for Limescale removal, if you have some of that and can apply it to areas you suspect and can wait a while, it Might help a little.

I use Hydrochloric acid diluted for limescale, kettles and such, if you have some and know what you`re doing, then that will work 10X better and much faster (it`s also non toxic).

I already used Viacal...see, your influence is run=bbing off! Stuff came gushing out when i put the drain cycle on! I'm guessing its going to need repeating sa few times! My next step was gonna be bicarb and vinegsr...but the viacal seems to be doing the trick!

Now that I got some of the gunk out a lot of limescale flakes and chunks and other stuff obviously piling up behind it, its draining into the bath much better Andy! I'm guessing that means limescale and gunk is the cause. ....now, whether the gunk is just in the flexible pipe of in the pipe the=rough the wall I don't know!. But atleast I can do washing now. The pipe keeps re gunking, but I'm shaking it through. I feel quite handy to day! Husbands, who needs them (when I can ask my ractical friends here, huh?)

Lulu, I use straight vinegar to clean out my water distiller, it melts the limescale after a couple of hours and is much more environmentally friendly. Give that a go when you are done your wash. (A whole 3 liters or more)

Great! One of my cleaning agents of choice! I'll get a huge vat of it tomorrow, lol! Thanks Alix.

The Vinigar is good, but only a weak acid (it takes Ages) the Viacal is good Sh!t :)

do NOT use Bicarb though, it, like Lime scale, is alkaline and will only detract from the Acidic properties needed to remove the scale.

I`m glad it`s working well for you now though, and I somewhat expected it would come away in chunks and flakes, when I see them in the bottom of my Coffee cup, I know it`s time to do the Kettle :)

OK, straight vinegar tomorrow.

On another topic talking to some of you is like chasing butterflies, lol! I'm leaving notes all over the show :) ;)

When I lived in a colder climate; I was told by a repair guy to run a gallon of white vinegar through my machine every time I was finished with the loads I needed to do. That helped keep the pump from freezing in between wash days as the washer was in an unheated room.

Back
Top Bottom