Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   What Kind of Stand Mixer is in Your Kitchen? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/what-kind-of-stand-mixer-is-in-your-kitchen-3446.html)

choclatechef 10-16-2004 01:24 PM

What Kind of Stand Mixer is in Your Kitchen?
 
I am just being nosy, since I am a mixer freak! :D

Why do you like your model? If you don't like it, which one will you choose to buy later?

mudbug 10-16-2004 02:37 PM

My KA came free from a friend -- mixer still in unopened box -- who got it as a wedding gift years ago and never used it because she "doesn't bake". Talk about getting away with something.....

Audeo 10-16-2004 03:43 PM

After undoubtedly tiring of my complaining about my ancient Sunbeam Mixmaster and whining about my sister's KA, dear husband bought me a KA Pro 6. What I love about it is its huge capacity (6 quarts) and 525w. motor, moreover the improvements that have been made in the paddle and hook attachments and a much improved shield over my sister's artisan. And thanks to a few pals here who explained that I needn't fear burning up my motor making bread all the time, I have since nixed the bread machine and have it waiting in the garage for the next garage sale.

Nothing can possibly replace this jewel...and nothing will likely ever need to.

Choclatechef, as the resident Hobart expert, do I recall correctly from another thread that Hobart was the original manufacturer of KAs? Who makes them now? And what's your opinion of KAs as the result?

choclatechef 10-16-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audeo
Choclatechef, as the resident Hobart expert, do I recall correctly from another thread that Hobart was the original manufacturer of KAs? Who makes them now? And what's your opinion of KAs as the result?

Whirlpool makes Kitchenaid now. I think that the quality of the mixers has decreased significantly as a result of Whirlpool's ownership. Whirlpool has been trading on the reliability of the Kitchenaid name that Hobart established imho, and has made profit their emphasis rather than quality.

The accessories are made of inferior materials, and I think the mixers are also in order to increase their profit margin.

choclatechef 10-16-2004 07:04 PM

I forgot to vote myself! I mainly use a Hobart N-50.

choclatechef 10-16-2004 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug
My KA came free from a friend -- mixer still in unopened box -- who got it as a wedding gift years ago and never used it because she "doesn't bake". Talk about getting away with something.....


You don't use your mixer mudbug?

wep896 10-16-2004 07:09 PM

Re: Stand Mixer
 
I also have a KA which I have never used.

swinchen 10-16-2004 08:03 PM

What does everyone think of the Viking mixers? I am sort of shopping for a mixer and I am the type of guy who would rather buy something really high quality once, than something of lesser quality multiple times. The Viking ones look pretty nice from the specs.

choclatechef 10-16-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinchen
What does everyone think of the Viking mixers? I am sort of shopping for a mixer and I am the type of guy who would rather buy something really high quality once, than something of lesser quality multiple times. The Viking ones look pretty nice from the specs.


One of the other forums I visit said that they have not been around long enough to evaluate as far as for reliability.

swinchen 10-16-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choclatechef
Quote:

Originally Posted by swinchen
What does everyone think of the Viking mixers? I am sort of shopping for a mixer and I am the type of guy who would rather buy something really high quality once, than something of lesser quality multiple times. The Viking ones look pretty nice from the specs.


One of the other forums I visit said that they have not been around long enough to evaluate as far as for reliability.

Interesting. So what is considered to be the best mixers out there right now?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.