What Kind of Stand Mixer is in Your Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?

• Total voters
Choclatechef, I can't tell you how much I've learned about my KA and certainly Hobarts because of you! Thank you so much!!!

And Ardge, since I learned from folks here not to worry about my motor being able to handle any strain my home kitchen can dish out, I now use mine for every bread dough I make. The darned thing works sooooo much better than that silly bread "machine" I refused to let go of! And it has really helped me improve my pasta dough, too.

I love my KitchenAid....!!!!!

You are very welcome Audeo! I love to share and learn information on this subject!

I just learned just today, that there was at one time; a peanut butter grinder attachment and a pulley attachment to joist big sacks of flour into the flour container in Hoosier cabinets!

I find old Hobarts and old Kitchenaids fascinating!

Michael in FtW said:
Don't want to say "I told ya' so Audeo" ... but ... ;)

No problema, pal! I'm old enough not to mind it in the least! Besides, I am sooooo glad that you did!!! :D

The latest issue of Fine Cooking had a stand mixer roundup, comparing all the major brands.

Best all-round: KitchenAid Professional 5 Plus
Best value: Hamilton Beach Eclectrics
Greatest strength: Viking Professional

Delonghi and Sunbeam came in with honorable mention. (Ok, but not the best) Jenn Air, Bosch, Electrolux, and Farberware sucked.

I want one

Hi,

I've been reading the posts about different mixers. I've been looking at getting a KA (Pro 600) but now am thinking about getting an old KA/Hobart model.

I've never used any of these kind of mixers and am nervous about getting one that doesn't even have an owners manual. If I do get one of these, how easy will it be to figure it all out? Are the instructions the same as in a KA?, not that that would help me any.

I want to make 100% whole wheat bread. How many loaves can I make in say a 5 quart model? I have 6 children and a husband and go through a lot of bread a week. Can these old models handle more wheat flour than the KA?' They can't handle any more than 8 cups, according to KA.

If the machine is already 20 years old, what are the chances of it going another 20 years, or 10?

Is there any way to get attachment for it? I take it KA's won't fit.

Thanks

Humm .. where to begin ...

I love the Pro 600 ... unfortunately it came out a couple of years after I got my Pro 6. If you buy a new KA or Hobart - you'll get a manual.

100% whole wheat bread is going to be a little coarse, tough and dry. If you use 2 cups whole wheat and 4 cups unbleached bread flour (makes 2 1-lb loaves) - it will come out about like the "wheat bread" you get at the store. A 5-qt Hobart/Artisan model KA will make about 2 1-lb loaves of bread - a 6-qt KA can make about 3 1-lb loaves.

As for attachments - the old Hobart made KA attachments are a #10 size - the same as the new Whirlpool made KA's - but they are measured in inches. When Hobart made them they were all metal - the new KA stuff is partly plastic.

Re: I want one

nikken007 said:
Hi,

I've been reading the posts about different mixers. I've been looking at getting a KA (Pro 600) but now am thinking about getting an old KA/Hobart model.

I've never used any of these kind of mixers and am nervous about getting one that doesn't even have an owners manual. If I do get one of these, how easy will it be to figure it all out? Are the instructions the same as in a KA?, not that that would help me any.

I want to make 100% whole wheat bread. How many loaves can I make in say a 5 quart model? I have 6 children and a husband and go through a lot of bread a week. Can these old models handle more wheat flour than the KA?' They can't handle any more than 8 cups, according to KA.

If the machine is already 20 years old, what are the chances of it going another 20 years, or 10?

Is there any way to get attachment for it? I take it KA's won't fit.

Thanks

You can get a owner's manual by going here, http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/default.asp; and asking one of the moderators to send you one. Or, you can often find them on Ebay.

No, the old 5 quart models can not handle more than 8 cups of flour.

If the machine is old, the chances are, with good care and service at a Hobart service repair shop, it will go one indefinitely. You will probaby be able to pass it down to your grandchildren. There are many old Hobart mixers still running fine from the 1930's. The problem of it "not going on" is of not getting service at a Hobart service shop. The one I go to say they never get a Hobart Kitchenaid mixer in they can't repair. They only have problems with a Whirlpool machine, because they are not built with the quality parts of the Hobart mixers -- thus not being worth repairing.

The only people who say that the new Kitchenaid attachments don't work or may not work on a older machine, is Whirlpool Kitchenaid. They are trying to get people to buy their new mixers, and it is not true.

I own a Kitchenaid. Basically satisfied, but it seems to struggle through large batches of stiff dough. No complaints with attachments. Would go with a Hobart Kitchenaid next, its sturdier and more powerful for large quantities of mixing.

I have been reading this thread, and I find your information to be very useful and informative, choclatechef. I am a contimplating the possibility of adding a used Hobart N-50 to my mixer collection, and perhaps getting used Hobart KitchenAid to give to a relative.

As for my stand mixers, I have a Berkel PM-10 (a commercial unit) and a Sunbeam Heritage. I use the Berkel for heavy mixing such as cookie dough and breads. I mainly use the Sunbeam for cake mixes, batters, and whipped topping. The machine I like most, though, is the Berkel. It mixes up stiff doughs for french bread and pizza effortlessly. The same goes with cookie dough, the machine goes through it as if it were cake batter. With that commercial machine, I get a great deal of enjoyment and gratification out of my baking hobby, and it saves me a lot of money. The mixer costed me less then a good set of golf clubs, and I don't have to spend money on gas for driving, except for a trip to the grocery store of course. :mrgreen:

MrCoffee

Last edited:
Don't use a spiral dough hook with a KitchenAid that comes with a C-type hook. If you have anything other then a Pro 600 in a six quart, and you try to use a spiral dough hook, you will wear out some internal parts prematurely. Whirlpool did some experiments with spiral dough hooks on their regular mixers, and it shortened the life expectancy of the test mixers considerably.

MrCoffee

MrCoffee said:
Don't use a spiral dough hook with a KitchenAid that comes with a C-type hook. If you have anything other then a Pro 600 in a six quart, and you try to use a spiral dough hook, you will wear out some internal parts prematurely. Whirlpool did some experiments with spiral dough hooks on their regular mixers, and it shortened the life expectancy of the test mixers considerably.

MrCoffee

Hey MrCoffee! What's happening friend! I am leoladysw on the Kitchenaid forum!!

It is great to see you here!:LOL:

MrCoffee said:

MrCoffee

That's good to know, maybe I just need the whole mixer.:LOL:

Small world, ain't it! I am doing quite fine here, and it's nice to see an old friend from the KitchenAid forums... :mrgreen:

MrCoffee

momcooks said:
That's good to know, maybe I just need the whole mixer.:LOL:

Ah yes. You can never have too many mixers. And you can get one of them Pro 600s for less then half the cost of a tux. So why not? Cave into temptation, momcooks. Indulge in the ultimate luxury that will save you some money. Get the 600!

MrCoffee

(And then get an N-50, then a Sunbeam Model 12, and then....)

MrCoffee said:
Ah yes. You can never have too many mixers. And you can get one of them Pro 600s for less then half the cost of a tux. So why not? Cave into temptation, momcooks. Indulge in the ultimate luxury that will save you some money. Get the 600!

MrCoffee

(And then get an N-50, then a Sunbeam Model 12, and then....)

:LOL: I can tell you're not my hubby! It is 50 more watts of power too. I've see the N-50s in the Hobart store in Salt Lake, Utah. They look pretty nice, even have a decent variety of colors. I'd have to go into business to get away with spending that much money on one!

momcooks said:
:LOL: I can tell you're not my hubby! It is 50 more watts of power too. I've see the N-50s in the Hobart store in Salt Lake, Utah. They look pretty nice, even have a decent variety of colors. I'd have to go into business to get away with spending that much money on one!

Not if you get a good used one on Ebay like I did!

Mine was the first run -- 1947!!!! Still going strong.

I have seen N-50s go as low as $150, but most run about 200-300 on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom