Baking off homemade frozen fruit pie ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Thaw or keep frozen? The crust was not blind baked to begin with. It's plain jane rhubarb but oh so delicious. Recommendations?

Thank you!

J,
I'm not a baker by any means, but if it were me, I'd cover the edges and pop it in the oven frozen and keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get any more brown than you'd like..I do think I'd be careful about how high the heat is.
kadesma:)

The instructions on the frozen pies at the store state to bake from frozen. It also states "do not thaw." I also put cold pies from the refrigerator into the oven to reheat. Microwaving turns out a very poor quality pie.

I've never attempted it, but my best guess would be that, if baked from a frozen state, the bottom crust would have a tendency to be soggy. I would bring it all the way to room temperature before baking. Mrs. Smith's and the like are formulated be be baked frozen, so I wouldn't go by their instructions for my home made pies. Remember, Mrs. Smith is the one who cuts her 9-inch pie into 12 pieces to so she can claim NO TRANSFATS per serving. I'd still like to watch the old bitty try to remove the first piece!

I would thaw the pie first, but I'd put it in the oven while it's still cold. That way, the crust won't have a chance to get soggy. I would also put foil over the edges of the crust.

Here's another idea. Cover the pie edges with foil and put the pie in the oven while the oven preheats, then set the timer for somewhat less than the actual cooking time. Watch the pie from that point and remove when you are confident it's done.

Thank you all! I am going with putting it in the oven frozen while the oven heats to a temp a little below what I will bake it at ... I'll let you know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom