Root Canal anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I just found out that I have to have a root canal. I asked what it would be like, and they said like having a very long filling:neutral: Anyone here had a root canal done and what were your experiences? I am hoping for good stories please :LOL:

I've had four and all were fairly good experiences. Three were done by my dentist back in Maryland, the fourth one was done by my dentist here.

They are a bit more than a long filling session. There will be some amount of discomfort, but I found not more than I could stand. The hardest part, really, was having to have my mouth open so long. By the time I left the dental office, I practically had a cramp in my jaw.

I'd heard all manner of horror stories about root canals, which caused me some anxiety before I had my first one. Anxiety or not, I HAD to have the procedure done, so I was a good girl and went to the dentist. I was relieved that I didn't have any kind of experience like those I'd heard about from friends, etc.

I'm just happy the teeth were saved. That was my end goal anyway.

Hope yours goes well.

I have never been fond of anything that happens while I am reclined and a masked person put their hands in my mouth.

The best part about a root canal is when they are finished. With most things in life the short term discomfort is minimal once the long term effects of feeling better are obtained.

Had it done few times, no big deal. Just ask for extra pain killers during and for after the procedure. Drug your self up pretty well afterwards and you'll be better than fine. Heck that is what I did.

Note: use only legal substance!

I have had a few myself, didn't bother me at all. As long as you have a good dentist. He gave me pain pills and I never had to take any. Just having your mouth open so long (as Katie said) was the worse part. They also gave me a Tylenol 3 to take before I left the office. Good Luck !

Last edited:
I agree with Katie E. While there are some discomforts, the horror stories are just routine hearsay and not from reliable sources. If you asked about braces, you would hear the same stories and from adults not children.
The best thing to do is just have everything ready at home so no one is dependent on you for anything. I am sure that your daughter will be able to run any errands needed with her new driver's license.
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Personally, I thought they were unpleasant but not horrible. Not at all like a long filling at least for me, since I had crowns put on afterward, so it was a two part process.

I think it depends on the endodontist. A friend of mine fell asleep during hers.

jennyema said:
Personally, I thought they were unpleasant but not horrible. Not at all like a long filling at least for me, since I had crowns put on afterward, so it was a two part process.

I had crowns put on all of mine, which turned the process into multiple steps. I'm glad I had it done and the crowns are holding up beautifully. Because of it, I'm worth thousands and thousands from my neck up.:ROFLMAO:

If you have a really good dentist, which I do, you won't feel a thing while
(s)he* is working, or ever again!

*I prefer a woman dentist. Women tend to let the instruments do the work, while men prefer to use brute force.

Katie E said:
I had crowns put on all of mine, which turned the process into multiple steps. I'm glad I had it done and the crowns are holding up beautifully.

Mine was done in anticipation of puitting in a crown, however, instead of a temporary, my dentist decided to use the acrylic filling material to fashion a tooth on top of the stump. Four years later, the dentist-made tooth is still in place, and every three months, when I get my teeth cleaned, she asks me when I am going to allow her to put in the crown. My share of the crown is $485.00. The acrylic tooth was free. Want to guess what I tell her?

jennyema :LOL: The dental assistant told me that it was like a long filling. I've had fillings so I can handle that, but I think she meant the duration (one hour!)

Katie E, thanks for that! I figure my jaw will definately be very sore and tired,ughhh.

Mirandgl, your right, the short term discomfort is nothing compared to the long term effects it will have on my tooth. It's embarrassing to have this whole in my FRONT tooth where my filling fell out, and root canal is the only way to repair it. I'll be happy when I can smile more!

Charlie D, I was told I will have novacane for the procedure. Wonder if I need something stronger than that? Definately want pain relievers for afterward though!

Barb L, hopefully I wont need the pain relievers, but would like to have them just in case. I think you and Katie are right about the aching jaw afterward.

redkitty, thanks for the advice about smoothies and soft foods. I'll have to stock up on a few things.

stirblue, thanks for the advice about having everything ready at home because I'm pretty certain that I won't want to cook or do anything for a couple days, and yes I will definately ask my daughter to run errands for me if need be!;)

My tooth will be capped one week after the root canal, so does that mean I will feel extreme sensitivity to cold and heat in terms of food and drink? Does that mean I wont want to chew for a week?? I should have asked more questions at the dentist but didnt think of any until now :LOL:

StirBlue said:
... the horror stories are just routine hearsay and not from reliable sources....

Those horror stories are far from here say, I had couple of root canals done without any anesthesia, yes, yes, you heard me right, no anesthesia. The word “Horror” doesn’t even begin to describe the actual pain and horror of the procedure. We are just lucky that modern days medicine is so much more advanced.

amber said:

Charlie D, I was told I will have novacane for the procedure. Wonder if I need something stronger than that? Definately want pain relievers for afterward though! ...

Novocain is what I had too. However, I am extra sensitive to pain, (that is why they wouldn’t take me into the KGB :LOL: ) so I tell my doctors that I need extra of whatever you are going to give me. You should know, I hope, how you handle pain. If are very sensitive, then ask for more. The doctors most of the time understand. If you can handle pain really well then what doctor will give should be enough, they go by the average person. Just don’t pretend to be a martyr and don’t be too shy to ask for extra pain killers and you’ll be fine.

amber

Evidently, what a person hears isn't always what happens to you. Ever since I can remember, long time, people have made me fear root canals. Hence, I wrote on this site and asked many people about their experience. So grateful they replied as it did put my mind definitely at ease and I thank them for it.

The way I found out was having a some form of growth on side of my gum. Before that I had pain but the dentist said I had old fillings that should come out. I don't really know if he was at fault for not taking x-ray as this was 3 months before the actual discovery of abscess.

However, what was a shock to me was the man who my dentist sent me to examined my tooth and told em to make an appointment. When I made the appointment the person at the desk said $1500 was going to be the charge. Ouch! When one has no good insurance, this is quite a expense. The receptionist did volunteer to give me a loan application from Wells Fargo. never did this happen to me before. Well, since first root canal I had no idea what to expect. But I thought in way of pain.

Anticipation was bad since I had to wait for Christmas holidays and New years to be over. Finally, had it done and really the man was good because one shot and no pain. However, when i got home I must have had real infection as I had chills and could not get warm no matter what I did. I did have antibiotics before and after the procedure.

Hope you can understand what went on as my family tells me I don't express myself the way I should. Can't fault the root canal for that.

I wish you good luck and please be sure this man is trustworthy. Oh, right after he did the root canal he said,'at least I can be sure he fixed the right one'. I have friend who had wrong tooth pulled. Good luck amber.

amber

Evidently, what a person hears isn't always what happens to you. Ever since I can remember, long time, people have made me fear root canals. Hence, I wrote on this site and asked many people about their experience. So grateful they replied as it did put my mind definitely at ease and I thank them for it.

The way I found out was having a some form of growth on side of my gum. Before that I had pain but the dentist said I had old fillings that should come out. I don't really know if he was at fault for not taking x-ray as this was 3 months before the actual discovery of abscess.

However, what was a shock to me was the man who my dentist sent me to examined my tooth and told em to make an appointment. When I made the appointment the person at the desk said $1500 was going to be the charge. Ouch! When one has no good insurance, this is quite a expense. The receptionist did volunteer to give me a loan application from Wells Fargo. never did this happen to me before. Well, since first root canal I had no idea what to expect. But I thought in way of pain.

Anticipation was bad since I had to wait for Christmas holidays and New years to be over. Finally, had it done and really the man was good because one shot and no pain. However, when i got home I must have had real infection as I had chills and could not get warm no matter what I did. I did have antibiotics before and after the procedure.

Hope you can understand what went on as my family tells me I don't express myself the way I should. Can't fault the root canal for that.

I wish you good luck and please be sure this man is trustworthy. Oh, right after he did the root canal he said,'at least I can be sure he fixed the right one'. I have friend who had wrong tooth pulled. Good luck amber.

sorry so windy. Just want you to have success with good dentist.

Many dentist offices today have either music, videos, etc., to look at-my latest has a warm neck wrap and a massaging chair and his prices are no higher than anyone else's and that's just for an exam. Take advantage---when I had my first root canal there was nothing to distract you except the ticking of the clock. Believe me times have changed.

I've had two, the only thing that really bugged me was the rubber dam they use while working on you. I gag very easy so that was part of the problem. I have all dental work done with out novocaine as it never deadens me anyway and the water driven drills keep the tooth cool and cuts down on any pain.You do keep your mouth open longer than a normal filling, but for me there was no need for pain meds. I don't know what a tooth ache is, never had one. Relax, let them work and it's over and your fine.

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom