Windsor pans, needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I usually reduce in a 3 quart or 5.5 quarts saucier. Does a winsor pan really help reduce sauces faster or am I gonna do as well sticking with my sauciers? I'm not really into the fetish of needing to buy every pan possible but if it improves my cooking that's differant.:chef:

I like my Windsor pan and like the job it does reducing sauces, stocks, etc. I also have a saucier and have used it to do the same thing because it's bigger than my Windsor pan. Never compared the two side-by-side but, then, I would have to have two pans of equal capacity and equal amounts of liquid.

Hmmm. This might be a good excuse to buy a new pan.

Michael, one thing I do to ensure I've reduced my sauce by the amount I want is I have a stainless steel ruler I keep in my utensils crock. When I put the liquid in my pan I measure the depth of it. Say it measures 3 inches. If I want to reduce by half, I know I'm there when the liquid comes to the 1 1/2 inch mark. This is almost exact if you are using a straight-sided pan. A Windsor pan has slanted sides, so your reduction would be approximate, but close enough IMO.

Last edited:
Michael, I use a saucier as well. I think there is a benefit to the curved side to bottom angle. You can get a whisk in there with no corners to hide stuff. I never felt the need for a windsor.

I love my Windsor pan and doing reductions in it - and if you are a---- retentive, like moi, I pour half the amount (or whatever reduction I want to end up with) in the windsor and measure that, then have at it.

And I love the saucier for sauces..

I have a pot and pan fetish so I have both of course. You certainly can reduce sauces just fine in a saucier. THe Windsor pan may do it faster or "safer" the boil occurs at the edges and is smallish and the center seems smooth and evaporates, whatever. THe saucier is shaped to encourage a rolling boil, that slow roll over action. But I have not timed the difference. And the taste is gonna be the same.

That's very constructive input folks, thanks. I may get one to feed a fetish about which I'm still in denial.:chef:

I replaced the 2 qt. All-Clad saucepan with the 2 1/2 qt. AC Windsor pan. I don't like the tall narrow shape of the 2 qt, and the Windsor has a pouring lip. I feel it's much more versatile. Any reason the Windsor can't sub for a regular saucepan?

Back
Top Bottom