Heirloom Gardening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayla

Assistant Cook
Is anyone growing heirloom tomato's this year? I am trying several types. I can't wait o try the White Currant Tomato's that I've started. I am also growing white cucumber and heirloom french beans.

Any gardners out there????

Every year, since I've down-sized my gardening, I've grown Purple Cherokees, which are my absolute favorites!! No more large gardens for me.

I like heirloom varieties. Because we are in Italy we have tried some standard modern Italian varieties though. Have yet to see what the toms will fruit like, but they are growing brilliantly. Strawberries are coming thorugh well, but are quite taseless. I miss my old English varieties!

:) I started a pack of Tomato Heirloom Mix which includes Bonny Best(red),Golden Sunburst(yellow)BrandyWine Pink(pink)Black Krim(purple)Evergreen(green)and Djena Lees Golden Girl(orange).Its going to be fun to see what comes up.
I've also started Brandywine Hybrid,Super Beefsteak Hybrid,Burpee's Big Boy Hybrid,and Rutgers.

Brandywine is a wonderful heirloom variety! They are so sweet and juicy...best I've ever tasted. Georgia Streak is another delicious one. It's a big pink & yellow beefsteak type. I also recommend German Pink, a very tasty variety that is smoother and has less core than many beefsteaks.

As far as gardening goes my girlfriend grows all sizes and shapes of tomatoes.

The next time I talk to her I will ask what type of tomatoes they are.

Have a great day.

"Green Zebra" is definitely one of my favorites. Nice real tomato flavor & a good all-purpose variety. It also does well in containers, which can be a plus for some fanciers.

Back
Top Bottom