Baked Vidalia Onion Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I posted this in a thread about Vidalia onions. Thought it would be wise to put it here, too. They are delicious served with roast beef. Enjoy.

BAKED VIDALIA ONIONS
(Serves 4)

4 Vidalia onions, peeled
4 beef bouillon cubes
4 Tbsp. butter
Water

In the root end of each peeled onion, scoop out a well with a spoon or a melon baller. Place the four onions in an 8-inch square baking dish or a 10-inch pie plate. Put a bouillon cube in each well. Top with butter. Pour about 1/4-inch of water in pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Serve hot.

Sounds good.
I wonder how they would be unpeeled. I've done other onions (sweet, yellow) in the oven by just cutting the root off and baking them on a piece of foil at 400F for 45 minutes. The skin caramelizes and you just squeeze the onion out of the skin to eat. I'm going to try it as soon as I get some real Vidalias. The bouillon cube sounds great!

These are really good. I've been doing some on the grill ever since I saw a Paula D. episode with them a few years back. They are great with grilled steaks.

The bouillon cube is brilliant. Had them with all the other ingredients for the first time when I moved to Memphis. Best to fix on the outdoor grill.

mudbug said:
The bouillon cube is brilliant. Had them with all the other ingredients for the first time when I moved to Memphis. Best to fix on the outdoor grill.

Rats! Now ya tell me! I already got it in the oven! Next time however.....

mudbug said:
Tomorrow will be jes' fine, Uncle Bob. Perhaps for a late-ish breakfast, with a little scrambled eggs and hash browns on the side?

Cut the hash browns...throw on a double order of grits. Now ya talkin! :LOL:

This is a TNT recipe for sure. I would serve each Vidalia in an individual dish like a hot borscht with a side of new potatoes (dill or parsley) and some pumpernickel rye bread.

Hey Bob! How about grits with milk and sugar??
OK ...my DH thought i was crazy too. He liked to stir his eggs in his grits.

StirBlue said:
TI would serve each Vidalia in an individual dish like a hot borscht with a side of new potatoes (dill or parsley) and some pumpernickel rye bread.

Is there such a thing as this bread, Stir? I always thought they were separate varieties. I like the potato idea. But then again, potatoes and onions are never a bad match.

Dove said:
Hey Bob! How about grits with milk and sugar??
OK ...my DH thought i was crazy too. He liked to stir his eggs in his grits.

Hey Miss Dove...
Ya know I love ya, but milk and sugar in grits:ermm: Why it's almost a sacrilege:LOL:

Back When: everything came with (potatoes, beans, rice or grits) and two sides (salad, slaw, green beans, corn, or peas) and bread (flour or cornmeal) if it wasn't a sandwich. There was always water on the table and you could order a beverage if you wanted.

When you leave "Back When" and order a hot dog, you get a hot dog! Can you imagine what "a hot dog" looks like? All by itself on a big white paper plate? Can you imagine paying a quarter for catsup & mustard? Can you imagine paying $4 for a soda? Can you imagine a place that serves hot dogs and doesn't have a water fountain? ((oops, this is my mother's kitchen-sorry about venting here....it was the grits that made me do it! :-p )

Ok it's TNT in Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee,

So ya gotta try Miss Katie's recipe..The bouillon cube, water, sweet Vidalia onion flavor is reminiscent of French onion soup. The onion is delicious too!

Bon Appetit Y'all :rolleyes:

We have a local guy that makes a trip to Georgia every year and brings back a truckload of Vidalia onions. I have a bag ordered, and will try your recipe as soon as they come!

Uncle Bob, I lived in the south for several years, but I never learned to like grits. They reminded me of hot cereal, which I detest. That's been years ago, however, and my tastes have broadened. I'll give them another try one of these days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom