ISO TNT Recipe for Braciole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I was watching "Everybody loves Raymond" and it was about Deb's Brijole, (stuffed beef) I have never heard of this and would love to try it. Does anybody know where I can find a recipe? Thanks! :)

Italian Braciole is more of a holiday party tray appetizer than a main entree (just to let you know).

What you are looking for in the way of beef is a extremely thin lean steak. Flank is a good example but some cuts can be too thick. You want extra thin and there are some steaks which are. (of course....boneless) Otherwise you must pound it thin. (deli sliced roast beef is a good substitute for this recipe and the cooking time therefore is greatly reduced...this sub is readily accepted and a great deal easier to use)

As indicated in Katie's recipe, the stuffing is sprinkled on to cover and not heaped on. If you have to much stuffing the wine and sauce will penetrate it and turn it to a diluted mess.

You will want to roll it very tight. You can use rubber bands to keep it rolled while you tie string around it. Just make sure it is tight. Then cut the rubber bands and remove.

If you are using the deli meat, skip searing in the skillet and go to the wine and sauce step and then into the oven.

I really like the stuffing in this recipe, simple yet well seasoned.

When I cut mine, I place a tooth pick through each slice before cutting. That really helps to keep it well shaped.

StirBlue said:
Italian Braciole is more of a holiday party tray appetizer than a main entree (just to let you know).

What you are looking for in the way of beef is a extremely thin lean steak. Flank is a good example but some cuts can be too thick. You want extra thin and there are some steaks which are. (of course....boneless) Otherwise you must pound it thin. (deli sliced roast beef is a good substitute for this recipe and the cooking time therefore is greatly reduced...this sub is readily accepted and a great deal easier to use)

As indicated in Katie's recipe, the stuffing is sprinkled on to cover and not heaped on. If you have to much stuffing the wine and sauce will penetrate it and turn it to a diluted mess.

You will want to roll it very tight. You can use rubber bands to keep it rolled while you tie string around it. Just make sure it is tight. Then cut the rubber bands and remove.

If you are using the deli meat, skip searing in the skillet and go to the wine and sauce step and then into the oven.

I really like the stuffing in this recipe, simple yet well seasoned.

When I cut mine, I place a tooth pick through each slice before cutting. That really helps to keep it well shaped.
Thanks for the tips. As I have never made this before they will be very helpfull. :)

I wish I could find my recipe! It had prosciutto in it for sure. Rolled skirt steak, I believe, tied up. Seared well. Tomato/wine sauce. Cooked on top of stove rotating occasionally until done. I did use a pounded out round steak though - I do remember that. For what it's worth we did eat it as a main dish :blush: - I'm glad the braciole police didn't come get me!

Braciole can also be made in smaller pieces using pounded slices of beef for individual servings.

In addition, pork braciole is also a possibility. Click here

I don't know where Giada got her recipe, but my grandfather, who was more
Sicilian than Vito Corleone, made his stuffing with chopped hard boiled egg. I actually go him one better and stuff mine with sauteed spinach and egg, just because I LOVE spinach and eggs!.

Braciole a la Sicilian

6 slices round or skirt steak, pounded thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
Enough of your favorite home made spaghetti sauce to cover
Butcher's twine

1 10 oz package of frozen spinach
4 eggs, scrambled
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
1/4 lb hard salami, chopped
1/4 cup freshly-grated Pecorino Romano
4 garlic cloves, pressed
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over medium high heat, then add the spinach. Sauté the spincah until most of the moisture has evaporated, then add the scrambled eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue to sauté until the mixture is dry and crumbly. Allow the spinach and eggs to cool to room temperature. In a bowl, add the salami, garlic, and romano cheese to the spinach and egg mixture and stir until combined.

Divide the stuffing among the six slices of steak, roll up, and tie about 1 inch from each end and the middle with butcher's twine. Add more ties if required, depending on length of briciole.

In a sauté pan over medium heat, sear the briciole in 2 Tbs olive oil on all sides. Add your sauce and simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.

Last edited:
Word from my Italian side of the family says braciole can be served as a main dish, which is how we've always served it. Love it.

I always laugh when Marie Barone says she's made it on Everybody Loves Raymond. Wonder if her recipe actually exists on the "Raymond" website. Think I need to do some sleuthing.:LOL:

Braciole or Brasiole is a Main dish. Probably every Italian family has their own 'traditional' way of preparing it. You can use Flank (but it can be tough), or veal, pound it thin, fill w parmesan, pine nuts, basil or spinach, prosiutto), roll up and tie w kitchen twine. Put in a big dutch oven w tomatoees, herbs, spices, red wine & cook till cooked through. Will go look for my exact recipe, but if you do a search here, I recall one from Buckytom & another from Constance. You can also cook up some meatballs & sausage at the same time.

Katie E, You are quite a gal. Glad to know you. Have copies of most of your recipes. Aria

I guess I am lazy when it comes to Braciole. The local italian market sells the thin meat in a package labelled "braciole" so I don't know what cut it is except beef. I then stuff it with my meatball mixture, roll it and secure it with toothpicks. I throw them, along with italian sausage and meatballs, into my sauce and let it cook for hours. I serve it as a side to whatever pasta I am serving - not a main dish nor an appy.

My girlfriend recently brought briocole for an appy, stuffed with romano and proscuitto and simmered in a little bit of tomato sauce, it was very good.

Back
Top Bottom