ISO Whole wheat bread shelf life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesusT

Assistant Cook
I just made whole wheat bread for the first time and it came out real well. The recipe I use makes two loaves. My question is how long are they good for? What can I do to make them last longer?

Congratulations!! I rarely see someone say their first loaves of whole wheat bread came out well:). I cool my bread first, then put in a plastic bag overnight on the counter. The next day I slice the bread and put it all in the freezer. I remove the slices from the freezer as I need them. They are just like fresh baked.

It is best to store this bread either on the counter or in the freezer. Storing it in the refrigerator dies it out quickly. The quality starts to decline after about three days on the counter. That's why I freeze it all.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My parents and brothers and a few friends tried it. They didn't believe I had made it. I used the recipe that came with my KitchenAid mixer(that I bought brand new for $5.) I am planning on making my own bread from now on and will slice it and freeze it. Once again thanks for the help everyone.

:) Alot of bakeries dont bake fresh everyday any more, breads,muffins,danish etc are frozen for a day or two because they need to keep prices down they bake cool off and freeze then pull out as they need them so freezing your bread is fine just make sure it has cooled totally,wrap well and freeze
Oh by the way how the heck did you get a brand new KitchenAid for 5.00 dollars?

Last edited:
Not sure about fresh baked bread, but in general, I would keep store bought bread on the counter at room temperature for four or five days, and otherwise store it in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom