Have all you planted yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
So have you guys got your garden in the ground yet? I live in central IL and i don't see any chance of frost in the future. In fact its supposed to be 88 for the high tomorrow. I got both my peppers and herbs in the ground today. Was a long day. Here is what i got in the ground:
Hot Peppers:
Orange Habanero
Red Savina (Red Habanero)
Chocolate Habanero
White Bullet Habanero
Tepin
Chiltepin
2 Prig Kee Nu (Thai Pepper)
Rocoto
De Arbol
3 Fatali
3 Cayenne
1 Pablano
3 Hot Cherry
3 New Mexican
3 Jalapeno
1 Guajillo
2 Tabasco
1 Turkey Pepper

Sweet Peppers
2 Yellow Bells
2 Roumanian Rainbow
2 Red Bells
2 Cubanella

Herbs:
3 Genovese Basil
1 Thai Basil
1 Majoram
1 Greek Oregeno
1 Garlic Chives
1 Chives
2 Thyme
1 Rosemary
1 Sage

Now the only thing left is tomatoes and Tomatillos which will probably be next weekend. I also might put in some lemon Grass. Will have to see how things go.

Ncage

PLanted, growing and eating! Its a small job because we only have window boxes and two balconies where we are now, but we have 6 tomatoes, a variety of salad greens, 8 strawberry plants, and verious herbs. Thining the sprouting salads and parsley has been a delicious job. The strawberries are offering up a couple of fruits daily, and the first tomato has flowers this morning.

It's still too cold here to plant much of anything. It'll be another week or two before I get much in the ground. The herbs (perennials)are coming up nicely though!

May 20 is my last potential frost date, and I have a healthy respect for that date. I try not set out tomatoes, peppers, onions, basil or annual flowers before that date. In fact, my tomato plants only have their first true leaves.

We have planted potatoes and spinach. We are eating the spinach and the potatoes are just starting to break the soil level. Will soon plant the next planting of spinach and it is time to sow carrots.

The hard freeze (18*F/7*C) in early April killed many things at my place: ornamental crabapple and regular apple flowers, filbert leaves, garlic leaves, mayapple plants, and it really set back the mushrooms.

My DH did plant some onion sets the other day and after all the rain we got, they are coming up already. For us though, it is still to early for anything else.

wow ncage!
You've got quite a garden growing. I've planted a few new herbs but haven't gotten to my vegetables yet.

I need to go get some herbs. I'm going to have to do them in pots, as I don't really have any decent space for a garden right now. The backyard is nothing but shade. I do have some wild strawberries growing in two spots.

I want to get another rosemary shrub, and a Lavender. Anything else I probably won't use, or if I do, I'll just go get it at the store.

May 15 is the "safe date" around here. A neighbor gave me some tomato plants yesterday which I put in the ground. I am getting itchy to plant some other things tho!

I too have been eating spinach and lettuce, and asparagus. I am ready to plant the tomatoes--put up one row of the cattle panels yesterday. (Instead of cages, I put up 2 rows of cattle panels about a foot apart, with the tomatoes planted in the middle. No muss, no fuss--once in a while I have to poke a branch back inside.)

If this darned headache goes away, I will plant tomatoes and peppers this evening.

And if the light (and my energy level) holds out, I will plant corn and beans and squash and some more lettuce and cukes and . . . . .

So far, we have 2 watermelon plants, 4 bell peppers, 4 Italian long green peppers, 4 cucumbers (armenian) 6 tomatoes, easter egg radishes, butter lettuce went in yesterday, 3 eggplants,thyme, basil,Italian parsley,majoram, got the grapes all pruned and tied on the grow wires, thinned the 3 peach trees and the nectarine, the peach/nectarine combo tree is next to be thinned.Not sure if I'll put in anything more, maybe some other herbs, time will tell:LOL:

kadesma

I live in a condo and I don't plant anything, but I also live in the middle of farm country, and there are producce stands all over the place where I can buy fresh produce year around. It wouldn't be any fresher if I grew it myself.

Around here, the safest time to plant is after the last full moon in May. I start my seedlings indoors pretty early, but this time I bought (and did not realize) miracle grow potting soil with slow release fertilizer. My seedlings for the most part have failed. Also, we have not had alot of sunny warm days, so I'm sure that has contributed to the problem. I'll end up having to buy most of my vegetable plants this season.

We are eating asparagus, sugar snap peas, onions. lettuces and radishes now. I planted tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, green beans, squash and cucs last weekend. I put the herb garden in a few weeks ago, but just did the basil Sunday, it likes it warm. I'm going to wait a week or two for the lima's, corn and okra. We do our tomatoes the same way that you do Sparrowgrass, we usually raise 125 or so plants and having the guides on both sides make it so much easier. I do alot of the seedlings inside and I have never had a problem with the Miracle Grow with fertilizer, but if there isn't enough sunlight I have bad problems.

I have about 65 tomato plants growing in peat pellets in my house. It's still too cold around here to plant most plants. I have about 7 habenero plants and 3 little red, fiery hot peppers, of which I have no clue what the name is. But they are about the size of a grape, and are very hot. I also have some edible flowers growing and will soon be planting carrots. It won't be until the middle of May before I attempt anything else though.

Seeeeeya;
Goodweed of the North

Goodweed..I thought my SIL was off her rocker when she planted 200 tomatoes...now she is in a nursing home in N.C. with Alzheimer's.***************LOL How are you holding up..LOL

All kidding aside, what in tarnation are you going to do with 65 plants?

so far, in the ground I got tomatoes ( grape, roma, beefsteak about 25 in all), some type of frying peppers ( 6) , eggplants ( 6) , leaf lettuce mix, boston lettuce, cabbage ( 3) , garlice ( 100, planted last november), tomotillos ( 4) , large gourds ( 4) , small gourds ( 4) , peas ( about 40), maxixe (2) ,potatoes,carrots, celery, beets,chard,scallions, onions, radishes, basil, parsley, oregano, mint, spearmint, dill, chives, rosemary, thyme

still inside in peat pots, cucumbers ( 16) , pickling cukes ( 48), okra ( 20)

still in the seed packet, soy beans, string beans and a few other things i forgot .

fruits peach ( 3), yellow apple (4), black cherry ( 4), chesnut ( 1), blue berries (4), red raspberry ( 2), black berries ( too many to count), black raspberries ( also too many to count), pears ( 2), kiwis ( 4), grapes ( 4), fig (1), cranberries ( 2 of the sorriest looking plants you've ever seen)

I always try to sneak a few weeks more out of the season by covering with plastic

OMG, Goodweed, what big company do you sell them to? Lol I plant -- ah - 3 (makes me laugh now) plants and are plenty for us. I don't can though or anything else. Just eat them off the vine - yum !

:) I started my tomatoes(seeds) a couple of months ago in my house in a sunny window in Northern New Mexico 7500 ft and plan on putting them in large containers in my little 8x10 green house .They are at least 11 inches tall I will plant tall stems deep to get deep rootsI also have a small heater in green house and dont hafto worry about frost.It is still less then below 35 degrees but heater maybe only gets it up to 45- 50 degrees at night and the green house can heat up to 80-85 when the sun is out without heater . However I dont know how cold the young plants can take with out killing them. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
amber said:
Around here, the safest time to plant is after the last full moon in May. I start my seedlings indoors pretty early, but this time I bought (and did not realize) miracle grow potting soil with slow release fertilizer. My seedlings for the most part have failed. Also, we have not had alot of sunny warm days, so I'm sure that has contributed to the problem. I'll end up having to buy most of my vegetable plants this season.

I had simililar situation happen. I started my seeds in seed starting mix. I then transplanted them to 8oz stirophoam cups. I used potting soil left over from last year. It was the expert gardner stuff with weak fertilizer you find at walmart. I have never had problems growing anything in it....of the plants i do pot. Well some of my pepper plants hated it. Which would be: Hot Cherry, Poblano, and New Mexican. Before i transplanted they were some of the best growing chile i had and after a lot of the leaves started turning yellow and falling off. THe rest of the peppers were just fine. It didn't kill the plants but it sure put a shock to them. You know i thought it was the cheap potting soil. Since you had trouble with miracle grow it makes me wonder if its just not the weak fertilizer that is causing the problem...but try to find potting soil without fertilizer would be next to impossible. All potting soil seems to have it. I did buy schultz potting soil for next year already but its getting me to wonder if i should not use it. Id love to use promix which a lot of people have luck with but i can not find it around my area. So what other options do i have? Maybe try to mix potting soil by myself with a mixture of peat moss, vermelite or maybe get potting soil labeled as Organic.

Ncage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom