What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydeez

Assistant Cook
My grandmother gave me a bag of these. they look like some sort of tomato pasta and they are flat unlike traditional wagon wheels. They are about an inch and a half in diameter. Does anyone know what these are? How do I cook them?

Here is a picture of the unidentified food. lol

Attachments

• pasta 001.jpg
    pasta 001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 230
Thanks for the photo, Hydeez. It looks like large wagon wheel pasta to me. It would be good to serve with a chunky sauce to get caught in the "wheel" spaces. Use it any way you might use smaller wagon wheel pasta, but think a little bigger with your pasta ingredients.

Looks good. Will make a great meal.:):)

Hmmm, I don't think it's pasta. It's sold with the peppers in the Mexican produce section of the grocery stores around here. I'd do a little more research before I tried to make it a pasta dish (though it does look and feel like pasta). If I make it to the store today, I'll find the name and uses for you.

I`ve seen something similar to this before, and it was covered in some Mega-Sticky sugar type syrup.

might not be the same thing though.

They are pasta durado, a Mexican snack food. Put a couple in the microwave on high--they will puff up like Cheetos. (Watch them--it is cool, and your kids will like it. Also watch them, because it is a nanosecond between all puffed up and burnt.)

They are very bland, so they need some chili and salt, or maybe salsa?

An alternate way to cook them is to deep fry them. The oil must be hot--375 or so.

I have to go with the most logical answer so far, "Did you ask your Grandmother what they are?"

1. Are they brittle or soft?
2. Have you put one in your mouth to see if they are starchy or sweet?

Extruded pasta is generally not that glossy (even with teflon dies), nor that red (unless food coloring was added). Another problem with these being a "pasta" is based on your photo ... the space between the spokes appears to be filled with something pure white ... not empty spaces. The color between the spokes is much whiter than your background, and the shadowing indicates that the area between the spokes is not as deep at the height of the outer edge of the "wheels".

Based on the photo and lacking any other real information - I'm guessing they are some sort of confection ...

don't boil it

It's Mexican and it's grain, but you don't boil it. You deep fry it. You don't need a big deep fryer just an inch or two of oil, way hot. Toss 'em in and they will puff up like mad. Be careful not to throw too many in at once! They can double or treble in size. (try one alone so you can see what happens)

They cook in less than a minute, I think. They don't need to be browned, just puffed (you'll see!) and they will lose that reddish color. Slotted spoon to remove, drain, salt if ya like, and some hot sauce. Snack City.:)

Thanks for the advice, My grandmother is a little senile and I'm not sure why she had them, or where she got them but she had like 3 bags. She didn't know what they were, but she gave me a bag. I'll have to ask one of my hispanic friends to show me how to cook them.

Thanks again,
Hiedi

Again - click here for an even better description and picture of AFTER they puff up.

There's really not much more to explain other than deep frying them and then seasoning them as someone suggested above. Go for it! Take pictures - and then fax me a couple - I'd love to try them! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom