ISO opinions about "Impromptu Gourmet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Has anyone here purchased from them before? They're a more upscale division of Schwan Foods. (Impromptu Gourmet® - Gourmet Food: Dinners, Desserts, Gifts - Mail Order Online)

My dad's been in the hospital for awhile now, & my mom - although a fabulous cook - hasn't been cooking for herself &/or eating very well according to my brother (I live out of state). So, as a partial Mother's Day gift I sent her about $200 worth of selections - entrees & sides - in the hopes that they may at least jump-start her into eating a bit better.

Although I've already done the deed, was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with their products. Like all catalogs, the descriptions are mouthwatering.

No one?

Well, I guess I'll have to write reviews as my mom samples it.

She received the package yesterday & said it was extremely well packed with lots of ice packs in a very decorative box. She's thinking of having one of the entrees tonight, so I'll pick her brains tomorrow, depending on what happens with my dad, who's having surgery today. Fingers crossed & prayers being said here.

I just saw this thread; I have heard of them but haven't heard any reviews.

I have no experience with either Schwan's or Impromptu Gourmet, so I can't offer any reviews. Hope you get some responses.

Regardless, at least your mother will have some delicious and nutritious meals and that's the real point. Your idea was very thoughtful.

I also do not have experience with Schwans or Impromptu foods, though their food does look delicious. Hope your mom enjoys her meals. I also hope the best for your dads surgery today.

I am interested in your thoughts after your mom tries the food. My parents haven't been well and when one or the other is in the hospital, the other one doesn't eat well at all.

Well, after sitting here like a lump of cold mashed potatoes all day awaiting news, just heard that the surgery "went well" & dad is in recovery. It will be several hours, if not tomorrow, before I'll know more.

As for my first "review", just spoke with mom & she made an early supper out of Impromptu Gourmet's "Tempura Shrimp with Japanese Dipping Sauce". Said the shrimp were quite large & came packaged 5 to a serving, one of which was perfect for her with a salad on the side. Said they came out very crisp & very good. If I was physically able to, I would have done a cartwheel at the other end of the phone, because from what I've heard she's been eating virtually nothing but canned soup, etc., since dad went into the hospital.

So, so far "Impromptu Gourmet"'s "Tempura Shrimp with Japanese Dipping Sauce" @ $14.95 for 10, packed 5 to a serving, are a hit.

I've eaten Schwan foods, a number of different food items. Not good stuff. The company uses below average quality ingredients. Their ice cream is okay, but any food items are not worth the money. I hope their upscale offerings are better.

I did some snooping around to see if I could find any information on the nutritional content of their foods and found this, just click on the individual food item to get a nutritional rating. Bear in mind, this is Schwan foods, not the level of foods breezycooking bought. Most foods seem to be high in saturated fats, sodium, and sugar.
Schwan's Nutritional Information

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't thinking of "healthy" when I ordered for my mom - I just wanted her to EAT something besides toast & soup. Anything to possibly "jump start" her - lol!!

I think the fact that she really liked the shrimp (& she's made shrimp tempura herself) was a move in the right direction.

I live in Southern Ca. I am interested in feed back for this kind of thing in this area. I have heard advertising on the radio for "Susan Healthy Gourmet" my mil no longer eats as well as she should and I think she's a candidate for this kind of service. Would appreciate feedback.

Barbara said:
I live in Southern Ca. I am interested in feed back for this kind of thing in this area. I have heard advertising on the radio for "Susan Healthy Gourmet" my mil no longer eats as well as she should and I think she's a candidate for this kind of service. Would appreciate feedback.
Barbara here's a link for you Susan's Healthy Gourmet

Don't know if she serves the area in which your mother lives. You'll be able, I hope, to find that out by reading the link.

Well, dad came home from the hospital (again) on Friday, & just told me that mom heated up "Impromptu Gourmet"'s "Italian Meatloaf" last night for dinner & it was FABULOUS. Lots of cheese, spinach, & a center of Italian sausages. Dad thought it was great, which really warmed my heart. I'm starting to think very very well of Schwan's "Impromptu Gourmet"!!

I haven't tried Impromptu Gourmet, yet. After I signed onto the Schwann's site, I kept receiving IG's emails - one a day. The prices looked too high, so I unsubscribed. I started preparing a Schwan's order, but when I got to about $200, wanted to rethink ordering. I started a thread awhile back re Food ordering on line & got some good suggestions. I still may go with QVC - steak and/or crab cakes. Schwann's will deliver to my zip code in SC, but it will be packed in ice bags. I do grocery shopping on line & get fresh deli & salads that are okay (same or next day) - for a $10 delivery charge from Albertson's. Vons also delivers, but too many neg reasons why I don't shop on line with them any more. Hope your dad is doing better.

I heard about a place called Supper Thyme usa on the channel 2 news this evening, and I'm giving it a try. There may be a location in your area, if you check around their site. This place is a little different than IG. They have heart healthy meals too. They need a little preparation. You can go in and put meals together, but I ordered mine on line (using their menu) & they will deliver on Friday. The woman I spoke to is very nice. The concept came about, for working people that want a good meal & don't have lots of time to cook. The site gives a better descrip. Here is what I ordered:

1 Balsamic Beef Kabobs
----- -------------------------------------------------
1 Chicken Asparagus Bake
1 Greek Style Chicken
1 Pesto & Sun Dried Tomato Stuffed Burgers
1 Thai Shrimp Stir-Fry
1 Zesty Baby Back Ribs

Supper Thyme USAhttp://www.suppertimeusa.com/menu.jsp

Last edited:
Interesting concept but, unfortunately, only there are only 17 states that have access to the company.

My only comment is that folks can have good meals no matter how busy they are if some forethought is given. We don't have to depend on outside sources.

I've been served food from Schwans ... while it was not my idea of home made, it certainly was edible, and for a couple not wanting to cook much anymore but wanting to eat more than soup and toast, it should be fine. THeir up scale is more than likely better still.

Another "Impromptu Gourmet" entree update.

Mom & dad enjoyed the "Chicken Rustica" last night for dinner & loved it. It's chicken breasts filled with ricotta, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and cream cheeses; sun-dried tomatoes, & chopped Italian ham blended with mustard and herbs.

They said it was great. Mom served it with some cheese tortellini & a salad on the side.

I'm more & more pleased that I sent them this as a gift. They really seem to be enjoying it.

I have a friend in Indiana that is in a similar situation with her in-laws. They are like us - they don't eat processed foods, and she was concerned about the chemicals having deleterious effects on her recovering mother-in-law. What she found is a wonderful (and free) service for senior citizens called "Meals for Wheels" where they will bring freshly-made foods to seniors in need. That might be a possibility for your mother & father, as well. I don't know how wide-spread it is, but it could be a healthy alternative to the processed stuff Schwann's offers. I've also not seen how "healthy" the food actually is, but if it's free, it is probably worth at least finding out about.

ETA: It's Meals "ON" Wheels and here is a link their website. MOWAA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom