The nice German butcher we use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have told you all before about the little German Butcher shop up in St. Labory, Il, where the guys get their deer made into summer sausage. They always freeze it and take it after all the hunting seasons are over, so it won't get mixed in with everyone else's deer, which may or may not be good.
They usually do this in February, but after Kim retired, the other guys have been too busy, so he picked up the frozen meat this morning and took it up there.
While he was there, he bought bacon, liver sausage, braunsweiger, brats, and homemade hot dogs, all made by them. He also ordered 3 prime sirloin steaks. We can't buy prime meats at the grocery store, at least not around here. Choice is the best we can do.
I'm looking forward to some great sirloin, cooked Philidelphia style. (charred on the outside, rare in the middle) Of course we'll enjoy all the other things as well.

It's truly a treat having an old-fashioned "real" butcher. When Buck and I lived in Maryland, we were fortunate to have one we loved. The steaks were the best. Roasts were "to die for" and always trimmed perfectly.

It wasn't until about 6 months ago or so that we were told by a foodie friend about a great butcher here. Ah! Heaven again. Their short ribs are fabulous and less expensive than any found at our local grocery stores. Ditto for the rest of their meats. They even have oxtails that are awesome.

It's wonderful having this resource.

Constance

Hope you enjoy them. Knowing how wonderful all your recipes are I am sure they will be out of this world. Be happy your husband makes the effort to get the best . I know he is thinking of you always. Nothing better than a good meal

Back
Top Bottom