Help - Going From Unbleached Flour to Bleached Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feastingmadeeasy

Assistant Cook
Everytime I baked cookies in the past I always used unbleached all purpose flour to using regular unbleached all purpose flour, but the problem I have now, when I bake cookies with the regular all purpose flour they are coming out super thin! Like a piece of paper, when I used the unbleached all purpose flour it didn't do that. Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix this problem, I don't want 50 pounds of flour to go to waste :(

There is no difference between unbleached and bleached AP flour except bleached flour is whiter and has less vitamin E than unbleached. However, AP flour is a blend of hard and soft (high and low protein) flours - and the ratio changes between mills and areas of the country ... so you could be having problems because of using different brands of AP flour - assuming NOTHING else in your recipe, ingredients, technique, baking sheets or oven has changed.

You might pay a visit to Baking911.com - especially the Cookies: What Went Wrong? page.

That's odd, because I heard that bleached flour was ideal for cookies, as the cookies remained 'puffier'. What happened to me is the exact opposite of what happened to you. I had switched to unbleached AP flour about a year ago, and I found my super, moist, chewy, thick and PUFFY chocolate chip cookies were no longer keeping the thick puff after cooling. They turned into flat, albeit still tasty, disks. I switched back to bleached and the thick puff returned. Baking is a science, so things like this never cease to surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom