ISO Is 1 cup rice enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm cooking for 4 people. We are having Meditearean Chix over rice, french bread and a brocoli cheese bake.

The rice box I have calls for 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. I think it makes a good amount.

Is that enuf for 4 people? It should be right?

Legend,
were it me, I would double the recipe. I know how my DH and one or two of our kids eat and one cup of rice just is not enough for us. To be one the safe side I always err on the side of too much instead of not enough.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Legend,
were it me, I would double the recipe. I know how my DH and one or two of our kids eat and one cup of rice just is not enough for us. To be one the safe side I always err on the side of too much instead of not enough.

kadesma:)

Thanks. well maybe I'll do 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water.

This is why 65% of American adults are overweight or obese!

A serving of rice is 1/2 cup, cooked. One cup of uncooked rice with two cups of water will result in two cups of cooked rice. Divided amongst 4 people, that is 1/2 cup each (no, I am not a mathematician, but lat night I watched one on TV!). The recipe is correct.

Instead of 1 cup rice - 2 cups water is it possible to do 1 1/2 cups of rice and 3 cups water? I'm assuming simmering part of 20 minutes will remain the same no matter what I decide.

Add more. For some people rice is super addictive.

Once I start shovelling it in my gaping maw it's only a matter of time before the whole dish is wiped out.

I also vote to double it. Half a cup of cooked rice might be the "proper" serving, but it's pretty cheesy - especially if you're serving it with a dish that has a sauce.

Plus, leftover rice reheats easily for another meal, or can be mixed in with the dog's food (if you happen to have a dog - lol).

I normally make the 1-cup-of-rice recipe for my husband & myself & save leftovers for lunch the next day (or make the dog happy - lol!!).

Last edited:
to ME it seems strange to be serving rice AND bread?
it`s normaly one or the other.

I guess it all depends on how much of the Other stuff will be present on the plate.

I don't find the bread/rice combo strange at all.

I frequently serve plain Italian bread or garlic bread with pasta dishes, & also serve baguettes with gumbos & other dishes that incorporate rice. And pretty much every restaurant on the planet serves you bread, regardless of what you order.

Where did you here that it was "normally one or the other"?

I agree, I love chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes! two starches is a no no! We always have some type of bread with any meal too.

Oh yeah, I'd double it. I love leftovers and rice is the easiest to reuse if it's not eaten. :)

Half Baked said:
Oh yeah, I'd double it. I love leftovers and rice is the easiest to reuse if it's not eaten. :)
Right on Jan..
When I have a cup of left over rice, I add to it,about 1/4c. evoo or a little more, some garlic powder, salt and pepper, 6-8 eggs,1/2 or even 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese and 2 tab. fresh chopped parsley. Whisk well, then pour into an 9x13 buttered or pam'ed baking dish with a little evoo on the bottom poke little dabs of butter through out the surface, pusshing them down and covered by the rice..Bake at 375-400 20-25 min or til lightly golden on top..
Let cool it's best to me at room temp..cut into squares and enjoy..My mother-in-laws torta..

kadesma

kadesma said:
Right on Jan..
When I have a cup of left over rice, I add to it,about 1/4c. evoo or a little more, some garlic powder, salt and pepper, 6-8 eggs,1/2 or even 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese and 2 tab. fresh chopped parsley. Whisk well, then pour into an 9x13 buttered or pam'ed baking dish with a little evoo on the bottom poke little dabs of butter through out the surface, pusshing them down and covered by the rice..Bake at 375-400 20-25 min or til lightly golden on top..
Let cool it's best to me at room temp..cut into squares and enjoy..My mother-in-laws torta..

kadesma

lol, I had a heart attack just reading that

And let's not forget that all-time terrific use for leftover rice - "Fried Rice"!! You can't beat it for using up anything & everything in your fridge veggie-wise. It's definitely my hands-down favorite way of using up leftover rice.

I did 2 cups of rice. It turned out well. There were some left overs. It was a lot of food with mediteranean chix over "chix flavored" rice, a cheesy brocolli bake on the side, salad which was a last minute decision, and italian bread.

Mylegsbig said:
lol, I had a heart attack just reading that

:LOL: I bet you did...Not heart healthy by a long shot, but, boy it makes my kids and DH happy as clams:LOL: We don't have this often. It's more of a special occasion treat and a rememberence of his mom..

kadesma

Ive never heard of that dish.

Do you have any background on it?

Is it like an appetizer, an entree, what?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom