DO with no legs, LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightjar

Assistant Cook
I bought a very nice, and cheap 10" Dutch Oven for only $10. Then I realized that it didn't have any legs. I'm wondering if there's a way to rig a setup, some kind of trivit that will allow me to put the DO off of the coals.

I'll work anyway. It's a cute Lil' thing:rolleyes:

If you plan to use the DO in a campfire, I don't think a ring of foil will stand up to the fire. Perhaps there are other ways to keep it elevated.

Nightjar, you might get some good advice from Uncle Bob on the subject. You could wait until he posts an answer or send him a PM with your question.

Best wishes on your search for an answer.

This DO is for stove top or oven use. Not for the campfire.

You could use a couple of half bricks. Also important is the shape of the lid. If the DO has no legs it probably has a domed lid. You need a flat lid with a lip around the outside to hold coals on top.

If you have a lid stand, you can use it to elevate the Dutch oven over coals. If the lid doesn't have a lip around it, you can make a ring out of foil to help hold coals on the lid.

You bought reallllllllly cheaply. So you deserve take some defects lol~
I think ring of foil is surely enough ~~

Andy M. said:
This DO is for stove top or oven use. Not for the campfire.

You could use a couple of half bricks. Also important is the shape of the lid. If the DO has no legs it probably has a domed lid. You need a flat lid with a lip around the outside to hold coals on top.

Nightjar

Andy's post says it all. The brick trick will get it up off the ground so you can put coals underneather for stews, soups, maybe some frying with proper fire control. A lid stand will work as well, but will probably cost about the same amount as the pot. As for "baking" or dishes that require heat from above as well as underneather I don't know if a foil ring(on top) would work or not. It might. In the end a lot of trouble to go to. I would suggest you go back to the same store where you bought the pot and buy a camp(with legs) oven. A 10" import can be bought for 15.00 or so. Or try to find an American made one by Lodge Manufacturing in Tennessee. Hold on to the pot you bought as it can serve you well on/in your kitchen stove as well as some limited uses around the camp fire. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Setting the Dutch oven on top of a ring of foil will not work. If the coals are inside the ring under the oven, there will be no way for oxygen to get to the coals to keep them burning.

Uncle Bob and Andy M. are right about using this type of DO. This type is also used to hang above a campfire also. I am assuming that there is a handle attached to the pot by which to hang it.

I can say from my own experience that a ring of foil will work to hold charcoal on a domed lid. You just have to take extra care to avoid getting ash in the food. And while a lid stand will cost you about the same as what you paid for your pot, it's a very versatile tool that's well worth the investment IMO. Not only does the lid stand give you a place to set your lid so it doesn't get contaminated with dirt, grass, etc., it's also great for keeping hot pots off tabletops and can be used with an inverted lid as a cooking surface for eggs, pancakes, etc., or as a serving plate.

thank you so much for your advise

I do indeed thank you all!!! I should, however have given a better description. It's a camp type with a flat top and a lip, but no legs. So I think the bricks will do well, and I have a bunch of them.

Here's a shot of it. I hope it comes in okay.

Oh well, I'm not sure I've uploaded it right. Well, see. Anyway, your help is perfect. Now, where are those bricks?

Greg

Attachments

• 10 inch DO.JPG
    10 inch DO.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 175
Glad everything worked out for you Nightjar! Interesting pot configuration! Don't think I have ever seen a flat bottom pot with that type of lid! Have fun and....

Enjoy

Greg,

Did you buy that new or used? Where did you get it?

You got a great deal there. I bought a pre-seasoned 10" camp oven a few weeks back and paid about $25.00 for it.

10 Do

Hi Garry,

I got it at a truck sale, from a company call cumminstool.com They have trucks come through towns and sets up at halls like knights of columbus. The brand here is american camper, (made in china :LOL: ) Actually I think it sucks and if I could do it again I'd pay for a lodge and be done it it. after taxex it came in about $11. after taxes. This wasn't pre-seasoned and the wax like coating was a hassle to remove.

Here's my solution to a dutch oven with no legs.

Golfgar4 said:
Greg,

Did you buy that new or used? Where did you get it?

You got a great deal there. I bought a pre-seasoned 10" camp oven a few weeks back and paid about $25.00 for it.

Attachments

• HPIM3489.JPG
    HPIM3489.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 192
  • HPIM3492.JPG
    HPIM3492.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I have both kinds and have had no problems using this type of Dutch oven with such things as soups and stews. Just keep the number of coals underneath it less than you would otherwise use.

I have also just used rocks (probably around the size of bricks mentioned earlier) to put the Dutch oven on.

Nightjar, awesome idea for improvised “legs”. Nice.

I was thinking you could do something similar with a bar of flat iron and some nuts and bolts (from Home Depot or some other hardware or home improvement store). You could use 4 pieces of 1/4 inch flat iron, cut to 5 or so inches long. Drill holes at either end of each piece. Form a square with the 4 pieces so that the holes line up. You’ll have two pieces on top and two on bottom. Then use a bolt and nut to secure the square.

The iron is basically there to keep the bolts standing straight up and will not support the pot. The pot will rest squarely on the four bolt heads, so pick bolts that have adequate and flat heads. You could use a rig like this for all kinds of pots.....then again, the brick idea is just as versatile, as is what you’ve already built!

i841190_DOLegs.JPG

nightjar said:
Hi Garry,

I got it at a truck sale, from a company call cumminstool.com They have trucks come through towns and sets up at halls like knights of columbus. The brand here is american camper, (made in china :LOL: ) Actually I think it sucks and if I could do it again I'd pay for a lodge and be done it it. after taxex it came in about $11. after taxes. This wasn't pre-seasoned and the wax like coating was a hassle to remove.

Here's my solution to a dutch oven with no legs.

Great innovative idea Greg! The only cast iron that I have currently is my 10" skillet. I've not yet had to raise it to get coals under it, but my next planned meal will require that I do. I plan on using the lid stand that I have. It's supposed to work just this way. We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom