Ideas for cod fillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redrabbit

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody.

I bought some frozen cod fillets at the weekend. Not sure how to cook them though.

I had an idea of roasting them in chopped tomatoes for about 20 minutes, or do you think that is too much?

2 main points:

- MUST be healthy, i.e. no fats, or sugars
- should be easy and quick as I'm not that great at cooking.

Thanks guys!!

GotGarlic said:
Hi, redrabbit. Here's a recipe for cod with tomatoes from the Food Network: Recipes : Cod with Fennel, Dill and Tomato : Food Network

It does include a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for sauteing the vegetables, but olive oil is a healthy fat, and in fact, some fat in the diet is necessary so your body can absorb fat-soluble vitamins, like A, D, E, and K.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

Yes, I know about healthy fats, I eat peanuts, peanut butter, oily fish, to get my healthy fats. I don't mind a bit of oil here and there.

:)

Do you think Marjoram, basil, or mixed herbs would go well with the fish. That's the only spices I have at the moment.

Just need to decide on whether to have rice or potatoes!

Basil would be fine, or the mixed herbs.

What about a grating of fresh cheese over the vegs? say broccoli? cheese goes well with fish and with vegs.

Cod is not exactly a "fat" fish, so using a "healthy" fat like olive oil wouldn't be out of place or taste.

My favorite simple ways of using cod is dipping in buttered (or in your case oiled) crumbs & baking until done; using the same method but cutting the fish into sticks to make homemade healthy baked "fish sticks"; baking the cod & topping with warmed salsa.

How about poaching it in a flavorful broth. Any type of veggie or chicken stock (low sodium, low fat) would work. Infuse the broth with herbs, zest of a lemon (that is the skin of the lemon that has the aromatic oil) and juice of a lemon. Add a pinch of salt some black pepper and bring the stock to a boil. Reduce, place the fish in it and let it poach for 15 or so minutes, covered. The fish should be ready to serve.

You can serve it on a bed of brown rice or anything else that your heart desires or eat it by itself in a bowl along with the flavorful broth.

Back
Top Bottom