What's For Dinner Friday, May 18, 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Grandsons are coming tonight for the weekend ! Iam making sloppy joes, french fries, coleslaw and cantaloupe. Ice cream , later in the evening.

Last edited:
I`m with Jo.Ann here also, we both have a cold here so it`s Chicken Noodle soup here also.
I`m going to do a fried onion topping on some large pita breads and cover with cheese and cook like a pizza, to go with the soup.

I'm making spicy beer brined BBQ country ribs, a nice big salad and cornbread. The ribs are soaking in the brine right now. I'll be cooking them on low "275" in oven starting around 2pm.

Salad will be typical cucs, tomatoes, red onions, olives, cheese, romaine lettuce, cut up peppers if I have some and what ever else I find or feel like putting into it.

YT2095 said:
I`m with Jo.Ann here also, we both have a cold here so it`s Chicken Noodle soup here also.
I`m going to do a fried onion topping on some large pita breads and cover with cheese and cook like a pizza, to go with the soup.

I don't have a lot of experience, but making homemade chicken noodle soup is a lot of work!!! ;). But than again, I've only made it from scratch once and I used a whole bird.

naah, it`s easy really, just more time consuming than anything else :)
and I`m only cooking it for 2 as my daughters cold is nearly finished and she`s Not quite ready for Soup yet (unless you wish to re-decorate).

I've had my George Foreman G5 for weeks now, and I still haven't made panini. I have sliced turkey, sliced ham, and some Swiss cheese, so maybe I'll scramble an egg to dip the bread in and invent the world's first Monte Cristo Panino! :chef:

I certinly hope Tyler Florence isn't a member here, or we'll be seeing Monte Cristo panini on How to Boil Water in a couple of months! :ROFLMAO:

Have a good weekend with the kids, Barb! We're making homemade wheat crust pizza tonight. One with mushrooms and peppers for DH and one with spinach, broccoli and tomatoes for Sofie and me. Apple crisp for dessert.:)

YT2095 said:
...We both have a cold here so it`s Chicken Noodle soup here also. I`m going to do a fried onion topping on some large pita breads and cover with cheese and cook like a pizza, to go with the soup.

YT, gad that sounds good. And we don't even have colds:ROFLMAO:

Caine said:
I've had my George Foreman G5 for weeks now, and I still haven't made panini.

That's a great idea. Hubby came home with a new GF last week cause it was the last of 3 that Sears had as their floor models/displays < $20 < and it's the big one and stainless steel. I was excited, what a find. Panini, now that's smart. If we do your suggestion, I think a super cold ;) SAN Pellegrino;) would be the best thirst quencher. I'm winking at you Caine.

For dinner tonight, Albertson's had short ribs on sale. 6 fat ones in the package. KitchenElf gave the recipe a few months ago and I'm jumpin on it. I've asked her for help with sides though. Want the Korean short ribs to be the star @ dinner. Any ideas? Plus @ Albertson's, I got all the makings for those Red Velvet cupcakes featured on ThrowDown with Bobby Flay. They looked and sounded wonderful and even BF said so. What the heck, if they aren't terrific, I'll chuck 'em. No venture/no gain, for sure. Anyone else think 3 T of red food coloring is dangerous? Gad, doesn't the liver or kidney have to process that and filter it out? Sounds like a lot to me but I guess you don't get that rich red color without using a ton-a-the-stuff:dry: , unfortuantely, my liver and kidney's are going to be red too:mellow:

Enjoy your TGIF every one!

Last edited:
JoAnn L. said:
Very easy meal tonight, egg salad sandwiches and chicken noodle soup.

This sounds like great comfort food to me...which would be perfect on a day like today...its grey and drizzling outside...i believe we're going out to dinner though (Seems like a friday night tradition)

My girlfriend and I are going out for a Sushi buffet. I am a little concerned because the 3 major news stations here say to be very careful of Sushi.

This is a very well known restaurant and it is extremely clean and all the food seems to be very fresh.

beefy Fench onion soup. Only I used venison instead of beef and added lots of mushrooms. It's pretty darn good so far.

YT2095 said:
\now that golly that sounds good! gotta try that!
for the long weekend we headed up to the cottage today, so along the way we picked up some sub sandwiches. It's a really nice day, so they were perfect!!

Last night I used the 2nd half of the uber-package of Aidell's Buffalo Turkey Meatballs I'd purchased at CostCo a while ago. I'd made "Buffalo Turkey Meatball Heroes" back then, & had said that they were unbelievabley & nearly inedibly salty. Saved the 2nd half of the pack to see if perhaps the meatballs would be less salty after simmering in tomato sauce for a pasta topping.

Unfortunately, the meatballs were just as salty simmered in pasta sauce over spaghetti, & I definitely cannot recommend them.

However - that said - I will say that the Aidell folks - whose sausages I do frequently buy & enjoy - did refund me the money I spent for the meatballs, & also sent me some free coupons to purchase their sausages, which I still enjoy & still recommend.

Back
Top Bottom