Computer Addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I love my puter, but have asked myself, have computers interferred with interacting w people, & going out in the real world?

Computers are great for research...but, for myself, I have been somewhat addicted to the computer, & would prefer interacting w people.

What are your thoughts?....Anyone relate?

I use my computer as a tool to interact in the real world. I used it to find out about a food festival. I did my research online and bought tickets online, but then went out into the real world to actually taste the food and be with other people.
I use my computer to find new mountain bike trails in my area that I would not otherwise know about.
I use it to research vacation destinations, make airline, car, and hotel arrangements.
I could go on and on.
I think it is a great tool to be help you be more interactive with the world around you.

I know whatcha mean, mish, but I prefer to think of it as EXPANDING my real world. I can't call my sisters or mom long distance every day to get recipes and talk about food, most of my neighbors and friends work all day, and I'm not into the soaps.

Altho we can't see each other, we interact like crazy. Sitting here in Virginia I'm not likely to have many daily conversations with people from other parts of the world and other areas of the U.S. We share recipes, jokes, food stories, childhood experiences, likes and dislikes, and, well...all the stuff you'd share with the people you live among, but with more variety. Y'all are pretty interesting.

Also, I also suspect this board is valuable for people who need to get things off their chest that they don't want to bring up with the "real" people in their lives. Nothing wrong with that either, and probably just as well for some of those insoluble issues.

In spite of the hours I spend here, I still get the laundry done, cook meals, hug my kid, kiss my husband, let the dogs in and out (my other part-time job), and other "real world" stuff.

OK, off the soapbox now.

GB: ditto.

Mudbug: Right on. Every word. And, may I add, very well stated.

Mish, I see your point, too. One could easily hide out on a computer and many do. Heck, nowadays you can order your groceries, pay your bills, buy anything you need and send virtual greeting cards. Wasn't there a show based upon someone required to spend a year indoors with only a computer and no phone?

I love people and get a kick out of their eccentricities and personalities, good and bad. But it sure is nice to sit here having conversations with you guys in absolute quiet....!

Computers/electronics.. you couldn't have computers without the latter..it fascinates me..that's why I went to school for it.

I am a member on a site that lets me talk to my friends in Canada at no cost.. can't really afford long distance bills at this moment.. not until I move and have a working budget..... and if it weren't for computers, I wouldn't have met all you great people!

I understand that there are some cases where people can be "too involved" and take it over the edge. I have seen it over and over. But, using it to meet people, share recipes, and communicate is never a bad thing... just broadens your horizons! :D

My name is Weeks, and I dunno what you ppl are talking about... I grew up attached to a computer screen. I hate using the phone, I'd much rather use Skype or another voice chat utility, or even AOL IM. :)

I first got into computers in college. I quickly became an addict. After about 3 years of extremely reclusive habits, i.e., never leaving my home, only going out for work, groceries, etc., I realized that I really needed to get off the computer and get out-and-about and do something.

I ended up getting into using a metal detector. That gets me out and in the sunshine (or rain, sleet, snow, water, etc.). However, I learned pretty much everything I know about MD'ing through the internet. I've also learned how to utilize the internet for research (I research both food and historical data).

I still have to make myself get off the pc. I've got kids now, and need to devote a lot of my time to them.

I am an addict also! But when you are home just about all day & the onlt thing better to you have to do is scrub the floors, it's easy to become addicted to the computer! :LOL:

My name is wasabi, and I am a MacAddict.
img_31396_0_bdc1d775fb7b44bd8636103fac91108b.gif

My DH loves this computer..when he is reading (about all the time) He asks me "Dont you want to go play on your computer?"
I just wish I knew more..like how all of you put pictures in your posts and when I click on the Font size it still gives me just one size. Same for the Font Colour..
:oops:

Dove said:
My DH loves this computer..when he is reading (about all the time) He asks me "Dont you want to go play on your computer?"
I just wish I knew more..like how all of you put pictures in your posts and when I click on the Font size it still gives me just one size. Same for the Font Colour..
:oops:

Is that your dog in your avatar, Dove? What kind of dog is it.....pomeranian (sp?)? I'm really stupid when it comes to stuff like that.

since having the baby, i am unable to hang out in my local pub much anymore. i have really missed the human contact thing. but having a wonderful group such as yourselves to hang out with has made up for it, so i'd have to say while i prefer to be face to face with my friends, i'm really glad to have my computer and to connection to everyone here.

Yea, mish and not doing anything today either. Got a lot to do today but this computer screen is mesmerizing.

wasabi said:
Yea, mish and not doing anything today either. Got a lot to do today but this computer screen is mesmerizing.

Wow, can I relate, Wasabi. Still sittin here in my jammies. Pretty soon I'll be ready for:

catscan.jpg

:LOL: Pretty soon it'll be ready for lunch and I have not had breakfast yet.

Back
Top Bottom