ISO: Can I slow roast an eye round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinabugg99

Assistant Cook
well the thread title says it all... can I? I want to put my roast in the oven at 200-250 degrees and let it roast for 4-6 hours. Is that bad? please help

Tinabugg99 said:
well the thread title says it all... can I? I want to put my roast in the oven at 200-250 degrees and let it roast for 4-6 hours. Is that bad? please help
Tina,
I'm sure you will get more than one opinion on roasting an eye of the round. When I roast one, It goes into a 400 oven for about 15-20 min. I then lower the temp to 325-350 and let it roast til meduim rare..I find being this cut of meat is very lean, slow cooking without liquid, makes it dry and tough..A quick high temp gives us the more tender meat and is perfect for slicing up the next day for french dip sanwiches.

kadesma:)

what if it has some liquid?

I always put at least 1/4 cup of water in with my roasts, is that bad and does the liquid affect your reply to my last question?

Tinabugg99 said:
I always put at least 1/4 cup of water in with my roasts, is that bad and does the liquid affect your reply to my last question?
No Tina, that isn't bad..I have never cooked an eye of the round that long so can't really say what the outcome will be..
If I add any liquid, it is usually beef broth and I use a slow cooker..I then shred the meat for things like tacos or enchiladas.
You can add the water, I would also add something to give it more flavor or use beef stock or broth, then you can add onions and some garlic, removing those if you want gravy..I'd keep a cloe eye on the meat to make sure it is not drying out..

kadesma:)

Like kadesma said, the eye round cut is very lean, but also very tough. I would highly recommend braising it. Typical and basic method would be to pan sear the beef in a dutch over or roasting pan, remove and then saute a basic mire poix and garlic, deglaze with red wine and beef stock (you can also add tomato paste/crushed tomatoes before you deglaze), add the roast back to the pan along with some herbs (bay leaves, fresh thyme, rosemary) then cover and braise in the oven. How big your roast is will depend on how long you cook it. Just don't forget to season the beef before you sear it, and season the mire poix while sauteeing.

Tinabugg99 said:

If you had a different cut of meat??? But you have eye of the round and want to persist in cooking it wrong. Is that bad? Yes, it is.

I will never cook another one of these because they are tough and dry, almost no matter how you do it. But for sure, do not do it for a long time. Do it as someone suggested, high heat for a short time and then finish to rare. Anything past medium rare will be chewy and dry.
This piece could be salvaged by cutting into medallions, pounding, battering/flouring, browning and then braising in an onion mushroom gravy. Hmmmmm-that might even make me buy one one more time and try that.
What Iron Chef suggested would also make a good dish, I think.

I have never made an eye of round that I liked.

However, I am determined to try it this way, one of these days.

Kadesma and Iron Chef know their stuff!

Lee

Crockpot Cider Pot Roast

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 lean beef roast, about 4 pounds (top round, rump roast, etc.)
  • 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or 12 to 18 small white onions, peeled
  • 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons molasses (light)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
  • salt
  • chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION:

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add beef and brown on all sides. Meanwhile, in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion wedges or small white onions, celery and garlic; sprinkle with allspice, ginger, and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine the cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours, until roast is very tender.
Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid, if necessary; then blend in cornstarch mixture. Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 more times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 to 25 minutes longer). Season to taste with salt.

Slice beef accross the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon some of the sauce over meat; sprinkle with parsley.

I braise Eye of Round roasts all the time.

I use a mixture of Beer, Barbecue Sauce, and Beef Broth for the braising liquid.

They come out Delicious.

They are a little dry and stringy, but the broth is amazing, and they are very lean and high in protein compared to fatty cuts of meat.

img_442373_0_198a8e0f2d787961095855a75578ce73.jpg

Back
Top Bottom